Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Eating fox killed chickens  (Read 7252 times)

Luce747

• Joined Jan 2011
Eating fox killed chickens
« on: December 10, 2012, 03:38:17 pm »
A fox has killed a number of our ducks and chickens.
Is it safe for us to eat the birds as the fox didnt take them?

Thank you.

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
Re: Eating fox killed chickens
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 03:43:11 pm »
I wouldnt, the organs may have been punctured and so the meat tainted.

ZacB

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Suffolk
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 11:12:28 am »
I will try most things once.....but I wouldn't touch anything mauled by a fox. Vermin that could be carrying who knows what and left all sorts of bugs on your chicken carcasses - in my simple terms  ;)
We learnt what to do with left carcasses - leave exactly as they are and when mr/s fox comes back, which he/she will, usually quite quickly - get rid of the fox  :fc:

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 12:33:01 pm »
Foxes carry some nasty diseases in their mouth as a result of eating carrion. Chickens bitten can die later of the infection, even with antibiotics. Don't take the risk as others have said Luce. They may also have ruptured guts and the meat will be tainted anyway.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 05:22:53 pm »
we are using the carcasses as bait to lure/trap/despatch. I wouldn't eat anything killed by the fox for the reasons stated above.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

graham-j

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Canterbury Kent
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2012, 06:21:10 pm »
Hi,I wouldn't fancy it again for the reasons stated above.I normally boil up any thing like that and give it to the dogs.

Graham.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2012, 06:42:53 pm »
I would agree about not eating, when we have had 'visits' the bodies have been left bitten all over.
Sorry to read about the visit. Its always sad.

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2012, 09:38:01 pm »
Sounds like good advice, just to be slightly contrary though, we've eaten fox-killed ducks before. I just opened them up and took the breasts off and we've not died yet.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2012, 04:51:29 am »
It should be fairly obvious where the fox' teeth have been.  Cut those bits off and discard, eat the rest (cook thoroughly of course) - that's what I do.  If in any doubt at all, don't eat it.

Like benkt, I've eaten duck breasts (and legs off Muscovies, they're big enough to be worth the trouble), and also chicken breasts.  And made stock from carcases.

But then I eat roadkill if it was my car, or I saw it happen so know it's fresh when I collect it.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Luce747

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2012, 12:34:52 pm »
Interesting replies, thanks all  :thumbsup:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2012, 09:11:57 pm »
A bit late I know but I have eaten chickens killed by mink.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS