Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Advice about which breed of sheep  (Read 5727 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Advice about which breed of sheep
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2012, 03:19:24 am »
If you liked your Ruby Reds you may also wish to consider the local sheep breed, then, being the delightful, canny, Exmoor Horn.   Or, fairly local, the Dorsets (3 types - Poll, Horn and Down), all of which would give you a perfectly acceptable meat lamb.  Portlands are not so geographically distant, either, are rare, beautiful meat and have beautiful fleeces you can sell to handspinners (if you treat them right - the fleeces, I mean!)   Wiltshire Horn is only from over the border, too, and as I mentioned above, has the advantage of shedding its own fleece so being a little less of a worry on flystrike, plus not having to find a shearer for a small flock.

One decision is whether to breed your own replacements or not.  If you do, then as others have said, you need a new tup every two years or he's onto his daughters - or, you can just buy a tup lamb each year, work him, then fitten him and sell him in the fat. 

If you are happy to buy in replacement ewes, then you can use a tup of a different breed - a terminal sire like a Texel, for instance, or maybe a Dutch Texel (a bit smaller) if your ewes are a smaller breed themselves, eg., a Portland.

If you're planning to buy in replacements then you don't have to restrict yourself to pure breeds.  You could buy Exmoor Mules locally (their mother is an Exmoor Horn and their father a Blue-faced Leicester) and run them with a Texel or Charollais tup for a good commercial lamb.  Or, as SF is advocating, buy any reasonable commercial ewes sold as suitable for breeding, of mixed parentage but likely to produce good fat lambs to a Texel, Charollais or similar. 

If your lambs are 'white' lambs (dad a Texel, Charollais or similar), then they should sell readily through your local mart.  If you go the rare breed route, particularly if you breed true, then you probably want to be thinking about processing the lambs yourself and selling the meat.  You'll get very little for a Shetland, Portland or Castlemilk Moorit wether in an auction ring, but the meat is beautiful and will sell readily as half a lamb - or half a hogget if you keep them through to their second year to mature - for the freezer.

Other breeds that I see smallholders praising include Zwartbles, Ryelands, Llanwenogs, Lleyns.

I see that you are wanting to start soon after the New Year, so you have little opportunity to go to shows and have a look at different breeds in order to choose one that appeals to you.  One option would be to get some orphan lambs to rear this year, to get yourself used to sheep and give yourself time to choose your breed.  Find a farmer you can trust to supply you with orphans that have had a proper start in life, though - if they haven't had colostrum, they just make work and usually heartache.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Haylo-peapod

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2012, 06:40:35 am »
Sounds like you have had some great advice from everyone, but one other key thing is that you choose a breed that you like.  Afterall you are the one that will be looking and handling them.  If you could wait until the summer  and get to a few shows to see a range of sheep in the flesh and to talk to the owners in person that would be great - just bear in mind they are talking about a breed they have chosen and therefore their views could be a tad biased so do additional homework before you make your final decision.

I wish you the best of luck and many happy shepherding years to come.  You have chosen a great forum where everyone will be very happy to offer good advice.

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2012, 10:14:57 am »
Decide what you want to achieve with your sheep and look at your land, then choose a breed that will do the job for you. It will be no good you deciding that suffolks are the breed for you because you love the look of them and and then putting them 1500ft up a welsh mountain and expecting them to live and do well, and lamb outside in February with minimal assistance.

An extreme example I admit, but it illustrates the point.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2012, 10:37:27 pm »
If you don't like wool, may I suggest the Wiltshire Horn?

If you dont like wool or horns - may I suggest some kind of composite shedding breed?

I may be biased..... :innocent:

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2012, 07:04:35 pm »
I may be biased..... :innocent:
I remember seeing a fit young farmer at the WH annual show and sale wrestling with a ram that was certainly heavier than him.  He did win but I was close....
Being certain just means you haven't got all the facts

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2012, 08:29:45 pm »
Aye, Wilts Horns are big sheep and they are a git to handle - but as they are woolshedding and easy lambing you shouldn't have to handle them that often. I appreciate them most in the summer when I am flapping about worrying about flies on my wooled sheep.

(I keep missing WH annual show, I keep forgetting to join the breed soc.....)

Fronhaul

• Joined Jun 2011
    • Fronhaul Farm
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2012, 11:01:53 am »
A friend of mine has Manx Loughtans if you were looking for something rare and a little different.  He has been delighted with them.  The RBST website is a good place to start looking and has links to many of the different breed societies.

My parents bred South Devons so we were in a similar position when choosing which breed and we started with Jacobs because I had always wanted some.  I then sneakily added some Black Welsh Mountains because they had been another early years love of mine and somehow a Shetland flock materialised as well.  :innocent:

Provided they suit your land the very best advice is to choose what pleases you.  From the point of view of your local breeds I would be wary of Devon and Cornwall Longwools both because longwools require a lot of care and because I vividly remember a ram who transcended nasty and descended into outright viciousness.  He may well have been the exception but he certainly put me off the breed for life.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS