Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Our bacon  (Read 5363 times)

Bumblebear

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Norfolk
    • http://southwellski.blogspot.co.uk/
Our bacon
« on: December 08, 2012, 02:18:07 pm »
We have just been slicing our bacon and I thought some might like to see the size bacon we got from our two.  They were smaller than average baconers I suppose at 54 and 60 deadweight, but very chuffed with how it turned out :)

ppd

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Sutherland
Re: Our bacon
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2012, 02:26:25 pm »
 :thumbsup: Looks lovely and I just bet that it tastes even better - enjoy ;D :yum:

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2012, 02:33:20 pm »
 :thumbsup: just in time for a Sunday fryup  :yum:

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2012, 02:34:39 pm »
Mmmm I can smell it frying now  :thumbsup:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

ppd

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Sutherland
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2012, 04:25:25 pm »
Bumblebear, Do you have a slicing machine or do you slice by hand. Just asking because I am thinking of buying a slicer ;D

nelson

• Joined Jan 2011
    • lelogisfrance
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2012, 04:45:41 pm »
Hi Bumblebear - I can smell that frying - I probably missed the thread but what breed were your pigs.  I also notice that you had cut the rind off. You must be pleased it looks fab. We have a bacon slicer but it is too small for our sides of bacon - so will be interested to hear what others have.

Lorraine

Bumblebear

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Norfolk
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2012, 04:45:49 pm »
Machine.  The one from Weschenfelders.  Thoroughly recommend it.  And them, they were very helpful and quick delivery.

ZacB

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Suffolk
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2012, 04:46:34 pm »
Yum yum :yum:
Did you buy a cure or make your own? and have you tasted yet?

We ate our first 'Home Smoked' bacon this morning. Cured with supracure from Weschenfelder for 7 days, a little too long which resulted in a slightly too salty taste, but good colour. Have used in the past a dry cure with smoke additive from Surfys which will only cure to a certain level and no more which has worked well.
Then smoked in a Bradley Smoker (borrowed) using a ProQ cold smoke generator (cheaper than using the Bradley briquettes) for 12 hours with a Hickory wood dust. Very pleased with the end result.

nelson

• Joined Jan 2011
    • lelogisfrance
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2012, 04:50:17 pm »
 :wave:  Busy week - okay you have Berkshires? - we bacon them too and it is mouthwatering.

Bumblebear

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Norfolk
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2012, 05:05:20 pm »
Hi Zac  :wave:, we ate egg, sausage and bacon sarnies for brunch today, all home produced - even the bread! It tasted perfectly wonderful.  I have read about meat being too salty but this was perfect.  We dry cured in a plastic bucket for 6 days, rotating each day.  We then soaked the bacon in cold water for an hour or so before drying. 

We've yet to try our ham, that's tomorrow's job :). We cured ours with Supracure too.

Bumblebear

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Norfolk
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2012, 05:06:39 pm »
Nelson we had to cut the rind off because the flipping abattoir kind of messed up the dehairing and some was way too hairy to eat (aesthetically I mean). 
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 05:28:22 pm by Bumblebear »

ZacB

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Suffolk
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2012, 05:09:36 pm »
We then soaked the bacon in cold water for an hour or so before drying. 

We've yet to try our ham, that's tomorrow's job :) . We cured ours with Supracure too.
I reckon the Hr soak would have done it, will remember that one for next time.
Good luck with the ham ;)

ppd

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Sutherland
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2012, 07:23:09 pm »
 :wave: Hi
I also used supracure from Weschenfelders for my bacon and cured for 6 days - I slice a tiny piece off and cook before hanging and I too found it a wee bit salty, so soaked for an hour or so and tasted fine (my 7 year old daughter is my bacon taster and she gave it :thumbsup: ) but hanging did increase the salt, presumably because it dries out more - but wonderful all the same :excited:

ppd

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Sutherland
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2012, 07:54:55 pm »
Bumblebear, can I ask whick slicer you bought? It would be great to know what would be a good one to get. And well done to producing a totally home produced meal :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:  We had bacon and egg rolls for lunch today but I bought the rolls :-[ :-[ :o Still tasted great though - maybe because I didn't bake the rolls :innocent: :innocent:

Bumblebear

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Norfolk
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2012, 01:52:36 pm »
We actually bought the 250, which is brill.  We figured it's better to buy something that we wouldn't need to upgrade and wouldn't frustrate us trying to use!  We bought the manual sausage stuffer and stainless steel mincer at teh same time and negotiated a small discount with a few extras thrown in ;)

Hubby can totally recommend the sausage stuffer!  Yet again, because he can go at his pace it was fun rather than a chore and the end product was amazing :)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 02:05:29 pm by Bumblebear »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS