Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bread recipe  (Read 3114 times)

Alistair

• Joined Sep 2012
Bread recipe
« on: December 08, 2012, 11:00:47 am »
Right here goes....

Starter dough....

5g fresh yeast or half as much dried yeast
100g strong bread flour
100g rye flour
Water guess somewhere between 125 and 150 floz

Mix it up and leave at room temperature for 24hrs

The dough.....

2lb strong bread flour
130g rye flour
15g sea salt
22g yeast or 11g dried yeast
650 to 700ml water
Starter dough

Don't put the yeast near he salt when you start to mix
 Let it prove

Knock it back and shape as wished

Let it rise, heat oven to max, then 15mins and turn down to 220 for another 10mins

Put a tray of water (about 50ml) when you put the bread in at the bottom for an extra special crust, slash the bread on an angle with a razor blade to make it look nice

Eh voila vous aves les pain de la campagne du Francais aves voter mere und voter pere
Je suis un boudin de la mere
Oui
Merci beucoup mon ami

SmallTimeSmallholder

• Joined Dec 2011
  • South East
Re: Bread recipe
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2012, 11:04:05 am »
Lovely  :D
I have tried this recipe with beer instead of water  ;D

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2012, 12:45:59 pm »
Thanks Alistair. I will make it some time next week.
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2012, 02:09:27 pm »
Must try this myself   :yum:

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2012, 06:34:33 pm »
Anyone know what a sour dough starter is? Ive been watching Britains Best Bakery every afternoon, and some bakers make their bread with a sour dough starter, not yeast. I'd love to know what it is and how it works. Anyone used one before?

Welshcob

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2012, 07:47:05 pm »
We used sourdough starter before. Basically you put flour and water in a jam jar until it has single cream consistency. Then you walkabout around your kitchen/house/garden mixing the flour in the water (no lid!) - this allows the mix to pick up any natural yeast in the air.
 After that you leave it covered in cheesecloth at room temp for at least 24h (sometimes more), until you see tiny bubbles starting to come at the surface. When a few days later the bubbling is established, you "feed" it every day or so with some more water and flour to go back to original single cream consistency. It should not go in the fridge unless you want to slow down the growth.

You would use about 3/4 of the starter to put into your bread dough. Keep the remaining 1/4 going every day with fresh flour and water.

Your bread will taste a little sour, but that's the character. I have heard of people keeping their starter going for years. We kept ours for a couple of months but I think it got contaminated with some other yeast that wasn't quite right with baking because both myself and OH started feeling quite bloated and with sore guts after eating the sourdough bread. OH also farted awfully!!!!  :roflanim:
But it all stopped once we got rid of that starter. Haven't tried since though.

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2012, 10:33:35 am »
Ooh. If it can give you more wind, then perhaps I'd better not try it. Sometimes there can be a hurricane flying around this house and I dont mean from outside!! :roflanim: :roflanim:

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2012, 05:45:26 pm »
I do think the wind may have had something to do with the fact that it went wrong... I've eaten sourdough all my life and never suffered any windy episodes!

You can get commercial sourdough starter - although I've never bought any in this country. If you get hold of some, use that in the beginning, to make sure you have the right kind to start you off. I had mine going for years, and only stopped because it's simply not worth it for one person who's not supposed to eat bread (but loves it). You can also cheat by using a sourdough bread mix (Lidl has some, which I find too salty - but then all bought bread seems to salty for me, so I mixed it with an extra third of flour, rye or wheat); leave it at least overnight instead of just an hour or so, and then keep some of the dough as starter for next time. If you keep it in a cool place, you don't need to feed it all the time, either.

Welshcob

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2012, 06:04:27 pm »
I do think the wind may have had something to do with the fact that it went wrong...

Yes I think that too! But we haven't bothered to try again yet  :innocent:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS