Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sugar Beet  (Read 10806 times)

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
Sugar Beet
« on: December 07, 2012, 08:18:46 pm »
Am looking for some advice, have used sugar beet with Horses before, I know Goats will eat beet quite happly would we be better useing a Shred or pellet as base for a mash for them cheers
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Sugar Beet
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 09:05:53 pm »
I use shreds, soaked briefly in boiling water (as long as it takes me to walk to the goat shed) and they love it. Especially if it is still warm in winter, but they aren't fussed about it - love it hot or cold. I have never used any other sugar beet product, mainly because when I started with shreds they were cheapest and don't need hours of soaking...
I also feed it to my female sheep in winter, mixed with a few oats. Can also be fed dry if ample drinking water is available.
The jury is out if it is dangerous for boys (as in urinary calculii), but my goats have a splash of cider vinegar in their drinking water, so that should sort any problem anyway.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 09:17:29 pm »
We use shreds too, as the pellets take much longer to soak. Goats aren't like horses you don't need to soak it for hours before they eat it, so as ours like it hit, we just soak it briefly with hot water from the kettle. Put a kettle full in, wait on another one boiling and add a bit more. Then add some cold water so it's not too hot!

Beth

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 10:09:50 pm »
Fwe have always used shreds but recently started to use pellets
We add boiling water to them about 30 mins before we go out and keep topping them up till they stop soaking the water up
All of the goats except the billy gets it hot
The horses get it and the donkeys get some
Graham

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 10:39:28 pm »
I use pellets for preference as they take up less storage space and work out cheaper.  I have two lots of buckets and when I feed the goats, bring the old ones in, give them a wash and put the sugar beet in to soak.  It has nearly twelve hours that way.  I mix the concentrates into it.

Most of my goats hav, at some time, got into the storage container and eaten a few mouthfuls of dry pellets with not bad effects.

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2012, 01:03:29 am »
thanks for all that  :thumbsup:
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

LouiseG

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Appleby-in-Westmorland
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2012, 08:21:01 am »
I use the shreds so that everyone can identify them in the feed shed, I worry that the pellets look too similar to the ewe nuts and pig nuts, and that some half asleep teenager will feed them unsoaked to the wrong animal  :)

So many ideas, not enough hours

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2012, 11:04:48 pm »
Not a problem when you only have goats.   ;D

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2012, 09:02:37 am »
I use speedi beet mainly as it is so quick to soak for the horses but it is a lot more expensive. When oh retires in March I am going to have to revise a lot of my expensive shortcuts however I will at least have his help about the place as now he works in Mozambique and always seems to be away when I need to get heavy bags of feed in.
Anne

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2012, 09:44:48 pm »
Typical man.  Never around when you want one.   :-J   (Need an emoticon for throwing the cat among the pigeons).  Now I think I'll  :sofa:    :roflanim:

Mel Rice

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2012, 06:23:32 am »
I always make my sugar beet up a feed ahead (partly because I have to do iy indoors so it does not freeze!)
As soon as my horse gets breakfast the pellets go into the bucket and back into the house with me to soak. Out for evening feed, refill dry pellets, back inside to soak. Sheep get some now and then juast as a change from sheep nuts

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2012, 12:57:49 am »
I feed the nuts, soaked overnight for morning, evening just soaked a couple of hours, popped in microwave to warm slightly in this weather.

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2012, 10:44:46 am »
Cant belive nobody else just puts boiling water on the nuts and feeds them hot.
We have done it for years with the horses but only just started with the goats.
Some of the goats wouldnt touch it when it had soaked for 24hrs but they all love it freshly soaked and hot
Graham

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2012, 12:51:51 pm »
It's the beet being hot that they really like! I have now started to give my girls warm water - what a difference they drink quite a lot more!

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2012, 07:59:42 pm »
Yes we have given ours hot water for over 20 yrs. Some of the show people used to laugh at us but now they all do it
We even have a belkin boiler on a timer  set up outside the tack room so we have boiling water morning and night
Graham

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS