Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Mobile Shop.  (Read 4778 times)

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
Mobile Shop.
« on: December 07, 2012, 05:27:59 pm »
Does anyone have a mobile shop visit them or are they a thing of the past ?
I took some eggs over to an elderley (83 years) neighbour today as it was snowing and I was going to check she had fire wood in the house. The old dear was in her boots,headscarf (no coat as she tells me that winter arrives in january here  ;D ) moving firewood from her kitchen into a marvellous old chest in her hall. She accepted the eggs but showed me the dozen she had bought from our mobile shop. She had more food in the house than we do and she relies on the mobile shop for her meat,fish cheese etc etc
Our area has few villages but rather there are many clusters of 4-5 houses ( lots of these are empty) so the mobile shop is a great service. He is more expensive than the supermarket (17 km) and there is no on-line shopping and delievery here. But at least it means that single elderley people can continue to live there traditional rural life with some indepandance and are less reliant on any family that may still be in the area.
I just hope the mobile shop has snow tyres!
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Mobile Shop.
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 05:31:43 pm »
We have a fish van comes but it's not very good.

I used to work for the Co-op 35 years ago (yes, child labour  ;) ) and they had a fleet of vans - bakery, butcher (called Fleshing in Co-op speak) and general grocery. All gone now.

There was a mobile butcher's van in the Hillfoots (Menstrie, Alva, Tillicoultry) until fairly recently.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 05:41:36 pm »
There is a fruit and veg van goes round Gardenstown and a fish van.

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 05:47:09 pm »
Our village has a market on Friday mornings, usually only a fruit and veg stall but sometimes we get a butchers/charcuterie van too. On Tuesdays, the fish van comes to call. Lots of the elderly locals use both services as there are always queues when I pop down. We dont have anything that actually comes to our little road though, so its just as well we have 2 cars!

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 06:03:43 pm »
Fish mannie around here, too - I believe they sell some veg and eggs, too, but I've never tried them, as I don't eat fish... But then. we aren't in any way "remote"; you could - theoretically - get everything you need from the Coop, if you can put up with their loud music, that is!  :rant:

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2012, 06:09:16 pm »
We get a mobile butcher who also sells veg, a fish van, and the spar deliver from the village.

Also a mobile library van.

When it snows the butcher delivers using his tractor.  :o ;D  ..... great stuff

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2012, 06:14:05 pm »
we have a mobile fish van, mobile bank and mobile library, also a hopper bus people can 'hop' on. I think a van actually visiting the fermtouns in our area would be flummoxed in winter by the fact they wouldnt be able to get up quite a few of the access roads which are steep ice rinks or deep in snow!

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2012, 06:43:48 pm »
THat fish man gets around  :innocent: , mind you, we are near lots of shops, the Co op over the road so I am sure we will never starve!!! ....years ago everything came in vans, I remember the Deli van being a weekly treat, mum love garlic sausage, me not keen, then or now.  Do milkmen still deliver milk? I have not seen a milk float in ages!

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2012, 06:49:49 pm »
Yep, yep ..... well a lady delivers in her car.  ;D

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2012, 07:14:57 pm »
Yes, forgot about that - we have a local milk delivery, too.

MikeM

• Joined Jul 2011
  • NW Devon
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2012, 07:17:26 pm »
no mobile shop here. No need, as all the big supermarkets are moving in. It's starting to feel like the home counties, but with nicer scenery  :'(

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2012, 09:08:34 pm »
we get our milk and juice delivered from the milkman, but the fish van was just too expensive, fish is expensive isn't it! More so than meat I think. 
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

deepinthewoods

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2012, 09:12:54 pm »
but fish is better for you, and its mostly wild, ie natural, has the highest death rate of any industry and is worth supporting.

Polished Arrow

• Joined Mar 2012
  • Forest of Dean
  • www.cinderhilllfarm.com
    • www.cinderhillfarm.com
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2012, 11:24:06 pm »
Coming to the farm door we have a regular visit from:
  • [size=78%]milkman[/size]
  • [size=78%]butcher[/size]
  • [size=78%]fishmonger[/size]
:sunshine:

We also have a dial-up bus service.
In the village we have a mobile police office and an intermittent Internet Cafe.

www.cinderhillfarm.com

We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are.
Anais Nin

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2012, 12:13:10 am »
We miss Leicester Market, I used to buy cheap fish, meat and veg and other stuff there, nothing like it here so we rely on the supermarket reductions and most reduce fish......I often get fish bargains and have a freezer full of the stuff and so I do not bother with the fish man!! Fish to me is easy and convenience food, tasty, quick and full of nutrients!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS