Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: At last, some time for dyeing!!!  (Read 5362 times)

SmallTimeSmallholder

• Joined Dec 2011
  • South East
At last, some time for dyeing!!!
« on: December 06, 2012, 11:09:27 am »
My husband has gone to work and is away over night with his works Christmas party. I can fill up the kitchen with wool and dye to my hearts content with not a word of complaint  ;D  Yipee  :thumbsup:

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: At last, some time for dyeing!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 11:52:16 am »
Sounds good to me  :thumbsup:
Please post some piccies when you have finished.
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

SmallTimeSmallholder

• Joined Dec 2011
  • South East
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 12:47:31 pm »
Here is what I managed to do  :D
I tried some multi dyeing for the first time. I am quite pleased with the results. Now to find some time for spinning it  ;)

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 01:19:25 pm »
That's all very pretty  :thumbsup: I shall be interested to see how it spins up  :)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 01:44:28 pm »
Love it  :thumbsup:

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2012, 07:48:57 pm »
Beautiful. Were these acid dyes?

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

SmallTimeSmallholder

• Joined Dec 2011
  • South East
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2012, 08:19:37 pm »
Hi Dans,
Yes, they were acid dyes. The photo doesn't really do it justice. I used Disco Pink (who could refuse that?!) and the multi dye was an area each of Marine Blue, Moss Green and Turquoise.
Can't wait to get carding and spinning  :)

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2012, 08:27:50 pm »
Do you need to dye pre carding or spinning or can you dye once carded or once spun?

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2012, 10:43:28 pm »
Looks good.

And I'm relieved it is that sort of dyeing you have time for.   :roflanim:

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2012, 07:54:11 am »
Dans,
I have been spinning some Romney fleece and hopefully this week will try dyeing it. My intention is to have a mix if colours by sprinkling different acid dye on the yarn. If I get round to it I will post pics of the results.
Sally

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2012, 09:23:33 am »
I used Disco Pink (who could refuse that?!) and the multi dye was an area each of Marine Blue, Moss Green and Turquoise.

It looks great  :thumbsup:, I shall be very interested to see what you do with it  :)

Just a tip - an experienced Raveller warned me that Turquoise needs a bit more fixing that other colours, so recommended a vinegar wash first before any other washing. ;)  Now, when I use turquoise in the mix, I give it a generous sploosh of vinegar in the first rinse, so it's ready to go once dried. :thumbsup:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2012, 09:30:18 am »
Do you need to dye pre carding or spinning or can you dye once carded or once spun?

I think you can dye when it suits you, but the optimum techniques may differ. 

Stove-top rainbow-dyeing works best on raw, unwashed fleece - the colours mix and melt better when there's some lanolin there, but it will dye anything. 

A friend does a lot of microwave dyeing; we've been experimenting with dyeing tops, finished yarn and finished (knitted) items - all have dyed fine, and a completely different effect to the stove-top dyeing.

The dyers who sell their beautiful colourways on Etsy and so on paint the colour onto tops, I think - that's a whole new area I haven't even opened the book on yet. ;)

I just bought myself an eBook on Dyeing in the Kitchen in Interweave's Countdown to Christmas Sale, and some more acid dyes in an eBay seller's closing down sale, so I think 2013 is set to be a colourful year!   :D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

SmallTimeSmallholder

• Joined Dec 2011
  • South East
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2013, 04:38:02 pm »
Well, it's taken a while but here's the spun results. The pink I carded with red and natural fleece and single spun. I'm using it to make a hat for my 2 year old (she's too young to complain!)  ;)
The mixed dyed I have spun and plied in the traditional manner. I'm thinking if socks.... Or maybe gloves...... A bag..... How do you ever decide?!  :D

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2013, 04:51:47 pm »
STS they are very nice. The mixed dye balls look similar in texture to my own spinning. I would love to make socks from my own yarn but I think mine would be a bit thick for that.
Sally

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2013, 06:28:19 pm »
Sts they look fab  :thumbsup:   Love that pink!

Sally, thinner and more consistent will come in time - just keep spinning! :excited: :knit:

I started knitting a work jumper when my spinning looked a lot like Sts' grey balls.  I spin a much more consistent yarn now, but in truth you wouldn't really see the difference in the jumper unless you looked really close.

I do agree, though, Sally, that it's best to get your yarn fairly consistent - and, importantly, consistently strong, before making socks.  They get so much hard wear, you wouldn't want them to only last a few outings!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS