Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Stockpot not big enough!  (Read 2892 times)

Bumblebear

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Norfolk
    • http://southwellski.blogspot.co.uk/
Stockpot not big enough!
« on: December 18, 2012, 05:52:00 pm »
please can someone recommend what size stockpot I should be looking at for my leg hams/stock etc. and where I could get one from?

The largest I have is 9 litres, which looked a monster wil I tried to fit a ham in it!!!  ;D

Geraint

• Joined Oct 2009
Re: Stockpot not big enough!
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 10:39:39 am »
Hi Bumblebear
I'm no expert but I'm guessing the bigger the better? How big is your ham?
I saw one on a Kitchen Store in Cardiff which was 17L http://store.kitchenscookshop.co.uk/cookware/bourgeat-excellence-casserole-lid-32cm.html
but I think any good kitchen store near you should have big Stock pots that you could use? Have you asked a local school if they have any large pots they no longer use? Might be worth a try?
Best of luck..
Geraint

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 06:44:36 pm »
I looked into buying a 40 litre stock pot once, then realised we wouldn't be able to lift it when full!  ;D

Our biggest is only 6 litres, we make relatively small hams ;)

ZacB

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Suffolk
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 09:57:39 pm »
Bumblebear - no help to you at this moment in time but we've picked up our stock pot / large pans when in France - really cheap, even worth leaving a few bottles of vino out to fit in.

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 10:26:47 pm »
We do our hams or a head in a 20 litre pot. It seems smal compared to those sold on the market. They actually sell cauldrons that could not possibly be used in a house - the local speciality is Tete de Veau i.e big enough to take a cows head.
Fill on the stove and don't lift off until cool - then hands in and lift ( no spoon,ladel or kitchen tool seems to do the job of lifting hams etc out of the pot without spoiling the ham).
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, 03:44:45 pm »
PS: we cut our pigs' heads in quarters to make them fit in the pot, quite an unpleasant job but hubby's ok with it. Scooping the brains out nearly made me puke! (But I'm ok with blood and he isn't  :excited: )

Tete de porc does sound better than brawn  :D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS