Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: saddleback x tamworths  (Read 2354 times)

littlegem

• Joined Jul 2012
saddleback x tamworths
« on: December 04, 2012, 11:51:44 am »
Hi

Our first go at pigs, we got 6 saddleback x tamworth gilts, they should be ready now, but are only measuring in at 30" girth & 33" length. After reading on here it looks like they need to be 38" girth. Anybody any ideas on how long it will take? They are stabled at the moment, they were free ranging but are too bloody naughty & destructive

Gem

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
Re: saddleback x tamworths
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 12:16:02 pm »
How much food are you feeding them?
When you say girth is that round the tummy or do you mean the chest, we aim for 40" round the chest behind front legs.
The good thing about gilts is you can take them on agewise a bit longer,how old are they? at 6mths i would expect them to be at least 37-38" round the chest and they should be for fatteners on about 5-6lb per day each, 16% protein nuts.
bit more info please
mandy :pig:

littlegem

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 01:04:28 pm »
they are 6 months old now. The girth I did was behind the front legs. They feed twice a day, was often 3 times a day in the summer. they are on 446 (growers?) and they get 2 large scoops a feed between them, plus apples, potato peelings (cooked) and popcorn most days too. And because one of them is an escape artisit, they get extra feed to get her back in again!  :-\ I haven't weighed their food but they do feed for at least 20mins per feed
I have spoken to the guy I got them off as he kept the boars and he says his aren't ready yet either. They are beautifully proportioned, just not tall or long enough  ???

littlegem

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 01:30:47 pm »
Oh btw, it's 4 pigs in the stable that have the two scoops each, we have 2 still outside that we are hoping to keep on for bacon, but at this rate it's going to take ages to get them up to pork weight  :(

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 01:36:09 pm »
Start by weighing your usual scoop of food (the amount you would give per pig) sounds to me like your scoops ain't that big and they're not getting enuff, other foods have very little value (use the 4lb of other foodstuffs = 1lb of pellets/nuts rule) and make sure they're getting at least 5lb per day EACH.The other foodstuffs will slow their eating down as they have to chew more, to get weight on though they need pig nuts especially at this time of year when they're burning fat to keep warm.  Don't feed them all in the same trough as this leads to squabbling and competition, we use separate trugs/bowls for ours.
I know they keep escaping but do your best to let them have some exercise as the SB part of them is prone to lay down fat when idle. They should make great pork and bacon with that cross.
hth
mandy :pig:
ps just a thought were they wormed when you got them, they might need worming check their poo.

HappyHippy

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 01:56:08 pm »
I'd echo Mandy with the feeding - check that first.
I'd been remarking to OH that the Large Blacks we had outside weren't doing as well as the OSB's - turns out he'd been short changing them by 2 scoops at each feed without realising (equivalent of 12lbs per day between 9 pigs  :o) Now that they're getting full rations they're looking much better  :innocent:
But, don't try to rush them to finish or they will just get fatty - proper rations and plenty of excercise is the way to go.
Good luck !
Karen

littlegem

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 01:59:53 pm »
Thanks guys, going to take the scales up there later. They get exercise, they are very playful  :pig:
They weren't wormed when I got them, but I did them within the first week with panomec.

SmallTimeSmallholder

• Joined Dec 2011
  • South East
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, 11:48:08 pm »
Hi littlegem,
I also keep Saddlebacks and would also back up what Mandy says about the feed. My early Saddlebacks did tend to run to fat and I've now changed their food to the Marriages no 2 and the results have been outstanding! Much less fat then before.
At 6 months I would be giving mine 10lb in the morning and 10lb in the afternoon (between 4 pigs). They grow very quickly at this age. They'll be ready to go before you know it. Good luck!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 06:25:36 am by SmallTimeSmallholder »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS