Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Fair Isle-like patterns and general loveliness  (Read 5379 times)

Welshcob

• Joined Jul 2012
Fair Isle-like patterns and general loveliness
« on: December 03, 2012, 08:44:14 pm »
I went with Dans to visit this new yarn shop in Edinburgh at the weekend (Kathy's Knits, on Broughton St) and the really nice lady running it (who travelled up and down the country to find masses of amazing yarns) introduced us to Kate Davies' patterns. She is also Edinburgh based but travels regularly to Shetland. She's an amazing knitter and thought to share her blog with you

http://katedaviesdesigns.com/

Beware, it is highly addictive and her patterns are so awesome, I love them and I really like her. Also she strongly supports British wool (especially Shetland!)

Enjoy!!  :knit:  :knit:  :knit:  :knit:  :knit:  ;D

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Fair Isle-like patterns and general loveliness
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 08:55:17 pm »
Thank you welshcob  :thumbsup:    I didn't know there was a new yarn shop in Edinburgh - that's all the excuse I need  :sunshine: .   I love some of the knitting designs, especially the sheepy blanket and the hares and tortoise  :knit: :knit: :knit: :knit: :knit:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 11:10:32 pm »
I love Kate Davies' patterns  ;D I have an eye on a tam o'shanter of hers with my Shetland when I finally get some carded.
Mum took me to a very nice and expensive yarn shop In Clapham on the way home on Sun - very nice  :D

Alistair

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 07:10:13 am »
I have the knit real Shetland book with some very nice fair isle things in.

I CANNOT knit fair isle, it's a mess when I do it and the tension variation across the knitting is wild

I would love to get the hang of it but I just get demoralised and my depression kicks in leading to crying whilst curled up on the floor in a tangle of different coloured wool

This makes me sad

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 09:29:44 am »
Alistair, as you have realised the tension in fairisle knitting is very important. Find a very simple pattern with just 2 colours and try to get the hang of that before you get more advanced.
I must admit I don't do much fairisle and find it very frustrating when knitting but the end result is always worth it.
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 11:44:56 am »
I haven't done a big Fair Isle project but I have done odd bits.  Sally's advice to start simple is good. 

How I learnt was to keep the main colour in my right hand and knit that the usual British way, then to hold the contrast colour in my left hand and knit those stitches the Continental way.  It sounds a bit complicated but it does work  :thumbsup:   That way you can keep the two balls of yarn well separated.

I think the trick is to dominate your yarn, not to let it be the boss  ;D ;D :knit: :knit: :knit:

Once you get that organised then you will be knitting with more flow and your tension will be more even.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 11:58:41 am »
Fleecewife.
I like the idea of knitting the other colour in the continental way. I will have to give it a try.
thanks
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2012, 12:00:34 pm »
I love these designs - wish I could knit  :)

When I was on Shetland in the summer, I went to Cunningsburgh Show. The knitting classes were fabulous - very, very fine shawls and lots of Fair Isle. Just stunning.

I am full of awe and admiration for anyone who can produce this - loves the wee sweater with the daisy buttons  :)

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2012, 04:44:08 pm »

How I learnt was to keep the main colour in my right hand and knit that the usual British way, then to hold the contrast colour in my left hand and knit those stitches the Continental way.  It sounds a bit complicated but it does work  :thumbsup:   That way you can keep the two balls of yarn well separated.

I take your word for it - tried that and failed miserably... :P Just can't master the British way!  ::)

I think I'll just stick to easier patterns. But I love the ones on that website - those colours are so very Shetland...

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2012, 06:21:11 pm »
Yes, they are great, loved them and the quality of the design work on all levels was great.   I haven't knitted since I was about 15 but was good at it then, fairly complicated stuff.  Have just considered getting back into it due to TAS website.

If you like colour and pattern, here's another website - its scandinavian and is mainly for clothes and not knitwear, but if you like the kate Davies stuff you might like this: (I sound like Amazon):

www.gudrunsjoden.com

Pricey maybe, but investment pieces you would hand down to someone.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2012, 10:26:58 pm »
They do look lovely.  I didn't dare look at the prices.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS