Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: training my working sheepdog  (Read 3062 times)

Skip

• Joined May 2012
training my working sheepdog
« on: December 02, 2012, 06:57:38 pm »
I am desperately looking for somewhere to train my 1 yr old working collie bitch. I have tried over the last 6 months to find fields and get some sheep of my own so that I may continue my love of working sheepdogs and sheep but sadly after many replies they have all sadly failed for one reason or another. I will happily help out with other farming duties in order to have access to some sheep. Needs to be near Guildford, Surrey

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
Re: training my working sheepdog
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 08:59:07 pm »
If you go on to the Small Farm Training Group website and then onto the Archived Training events, you'll come across a course for Sheep Stock Tasks.  The trainer is Chris Jupp and he is a brilliant Sheep Dog and Sheep Dog Owner trainer.     I had a few lessons with him before we moved here to Wales in 2008.    Email or phone the organisers of the group and ask them for this phone number.   Highly recommended and not too far away from you.
Good luck  :fc:
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 07:11:48 pm »
I could do with someone to put a dog round my sheep sometimes, until mine is trained. Pity you are over in Surrey, really.

Skip

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 08:19:12 pm »
Many thanks, Blinkers, for your reply and I have made some contact with the Small Farm group and hopefully something will come up. Also looked at your website and what a great place you live in and I am sure you have worked very hard for it. Also thanks to SteveHants for his reply and wished I lived nearer to wherever you are!

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2012, 10:48:33 pm »
Thanks Skip - glad you enjoyed the website - do keep calling back....and do let me know if you have luck with Chris  :thumbsup:
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

Remy

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2012, 09:30:15 am »
Wish you were nearer me too!
1 horse, 2 ponies, 4 dogs, 2 Kune Kunes, a variety of sheep

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS