Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cutting list  (Read 3957 times)

Jaymac76

• Joined Jun 2012
Cutting list
« on: December 02, 2012, 05:13:26 pm »
Hi All,

This is my first trip to the butchers with my two pigs and would like to make sure my cutting list is ok.

Gigot roast, shoulder roast, diced shoulder, chops, back bacon, burgers, gammon steaks and sausages.

Have I missed anything.

Cheers jaymac

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
Re: Cutting list
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 05:22:26 pm »
Cutting list for pigs was discussed just a few weeks back with a lot of input from experienced pig keepers. Maybe search the forum then you can pick other cuts from the longer lists others have posted.
I hope all goes well and I hope that you enjoy the pork. 
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

Jaymac76

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 05:28:23 pm »
Hi,

I have been looking at all the posts I am just making sure my list is ok, can't wait to taste the pork been a long time in the planning.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 05:57:13 pm »
What do you want to do with the belly?  IMO, rolled stuffed belly is one of the finest roasts there is  :yum:

Have you checked that your butcher is happy to cure bacon and gammon for you?  Not all are, and some only want to do bacon, not gammon.  Do you want a gammon joint (that's a cured leg - much more difficult to do unless the butcher already does them) or gammon steaks?

And you'll need to give some guidance on quantities / proportions - for instance, do you want one pig to be all chops and the other back bacon?  How many leg roasts per back leg?  What proportion of the leg for gammon?  How much of the shoulder to go into the sausages?  How many joints per shoulder?  Rolled or bone-in? 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Jaymac76

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 06:08:55 pm »
Lots of questions but that's what I was looking for, I will talk to the butcher tomorrow.

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 10:12:46 pm »
Make sure you get the 4 tender loins, kidneys, LIVER and any end bits you may like to try ( head,trotters and tail).  OH - spare ribs????
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 05:22:52 am »
You may have to make special arrangements to get the offal - I have to go in on the day the butcher fetches the carcase from the abattoir to get mine, and it's clearly a faff for them to keep it seperate for me. 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 09:23:29 am »
I always get the offal back as a matter of course.

Bumblebear

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Norfolk
    • http://southwellski.blogspot.co.uk/
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2012, 04:42:10 pm »
http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/forum/index.php?topic=29271.0

The butcher had said everything was fine except the chipolatas, too small a quantity  :D. In the end we had a home butcher service but the only changes we made were to have two guards of honour instead of a crown roast; and we have decided to make our own sausages http://southwellski.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/bangers-and-mash-journey.html

We're trying all sorts of new sausages now and if you want to make your own, don't forget to ask for back fat :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS