Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Youngster Advice!  (Read 1516 times)

AnnaLouise2012

• Joined Jul 2012
Youngster Advice!
« on: December 02, 2012, 05:05:34 pm »
Hello, I have just got a youngster - literally brought him home yesterday. He's an 8 month old Anglo-Arab X Spotted and I am very pleased with him.
I have a question to ask! Today and yesterday I have been stabling him at night. We have a field and a stable in the field.
 At his old home, he was turned out 24/7. I thought, from personal experience, it would be better for him to have a routine and also to be warm and dry and cosy at night in his big straw & shavings bed with his bulging haynet. So last night and tonight I have stabled him. This morning he was a little sprightly, but fine, he didn't sweat or seem distressed, just excited to get to the others! He soon calmed down, he was initially keen to get out and explore and meet the others (understandably). Tonight, he went in easily and was eating etc but didnt seem 100% content (obviously as hes not used to it and also as today he has made extremely great friends with my minis! They stay out)
I plan to keep him stabled at night for the first few days anyway, to keep him out of mischief but going forward, I'm having a think about whether to stay with my initial plan of building a routine and stabling him at night or whether I should let him stay out with the minis and just keep the stable door open so they can go in and out as they please (this is what I did with the minis).

Any thoughts/advice is appreciated!  :wave:

Anna  :horse:

quiltycats

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Ooop North
Re: Youngster Advice!
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 05:27:45 pm »
From past experience bringing him in at night is a good plan...it establishes routine and creates a bond between you and him, also if you are going to ride in the future it will establish in his mind that its okay to be parted from the others no need to panic, making him much easier to ride out.

Use the time to pick his feet and do a lot of  fussing over him... all handling will pay dividends later.

AnnaLouise2012

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 05:51:09 pm »
Ok thanks, it definitely was my initial plan. He is a bit touchy with his legs and feet at the moment, but this is to be expected, I will just spend more time handing and focusing on those areas!  :horse:

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 06:07:16 pm »
It is def a good idea to get him used to being stabled, as if the stable is in the field, the others not being in the stables is not the issue it might be otherwise, so I think you are right to do what you are doing.
I would stable him at night until he is totally chilled with it, maybe making sure there is something healthy but tasty for him in it :-) and once he is chilled, maybe bring him in some nights and not others. Eventually you can leave him out unless you want him in for some reason and it wont be an issue.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS