Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Buff Orpingtons not going up the ladder!  (Read 5825 times)

skianne

• Joined Dec 2012
Buff Orpingtons not going up the ladder!
« on: December 01, 2012, 10:10:34 pm »
Hi

I've not posted before but have often got some great advice from reading posts on here, but I wondered if anyone could help my latest, rather puzzling problem!

I have just bought two Buff Orpington POL hens and two Cream Legbar POL's.  They are in a coop with a ladder to get into the roosting area and nesting box.  I kept them shut in the house for the first 24 hours and all was well.  They were very happy the next day, but that night, whilst the two legbars happily went up the ladder, the two Orpingtons did not and were asleep at the bottom of the ladder.  I picked them up and put them in the house and pulled up the ladder to keep them warm and they got down it OK this morning.  But tonight, same thing. 
I'm just wondering if this breed is renowned for not liking ladders?  I know they're a heavy breed...I have other hens and have not seen his before, and as I said the legbars are happily going up. 
Anyone else had this problem?  Or can give advice? 
Thanks so much.

Bert

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Isle of Mull
Re: Buff Orpingtons not going up the ladder!
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 10:30:52 pm »
I can't help. I don't know much about anything :dunce: . Just wanted to say welcome to the forum  :wave: .

Andt

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 10:36:19 pm »
A friend of mine had some LF buff Orpington hens and they would roost on the floor rather than perch, he was convinced that it was due to their size although his BO cockerel would roost on the perch and he was huge.
They may just need a little longer to settle in.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 10:39:10 pm »
I'd say it was to do with their size too.

Has the ladder got little crosspieces, for good grip? Cream Legbars are light and agile, Orpingtons not.

aaronsundin

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Aberdeenshire , Scotland
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 07:43:41 am »
I keep bantie orpingtons amongst others and have experienced exactly the same problem . Going to shut them all in at night and finding the orpingtons huddled in the corner under the ladder . I lifted each one and placed it at the bottom of the ladder , then with one hand at the birds chest and the other at it's rear I gently pushed it up the ladder . After doing this for two or three nights they all got the hang of it and followed the others up to bed ! Good luck  :)

skianne

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 08:54:59 am »
Thanks so much everyone.  I will give them a little bit longer and a helping hand each night for a while and see if they can be persuaded. :fc:
They are very beautiful though!

Thanks very much for your help! Will keep you posted... :thumbsup:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 10:06:34 am »
I know you say you put the ladder back for them to come down, but they mostly don't come down the ladder, they mostly jump.  And depending on where / how the jump is sited, and how well if at all their wings work, it could be the jump down that's the problem rather than the climb up.

Generally, 1' is enough height for a heavy bird like a BO to jump down, I'd say.  (And then make sure the lowest perch isn't under a poop zone from a higher perch!  ;))
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

the great composto

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 11:04:46 am »
Hi - I keep 4 buff hens and 2 other orpingtons that are 2 years old so quite large - they dont have a problem with the ramp we have.  So its not a breed thing.
When we first had them we had rescued warrens that they just followed up the ramp.  Mine is a ramp with bars across for grip and the coop is about 24 inches off the floor.
Yours isnt too steep is it?

skianne

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, 02:33:38 pm »
Hmmmm.  Yes, SallyintNorth, they didn't look to ohappy coming down this morning either...
And also, thanks for your point greatcomposto(!!!) maybe it is too steep..It does have cross bars all the way down it to give them grip, but maybe I could try putting it on a small brick to decrease the angle.  I shall try in a min and let you all know tomorrow..

Thanks agin!

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2012, 11:07:21 pm »
My Orpingtons are probably a similar age and are actually more agile than I was expecting, having read that an 18 inch fence would keep them out of restricted areas of the garden. I've had to shift their hen house away from the edge of the pen because one of the cockerels made it onto the roof (about 6 foot high) and I was worried his next step was over the fence. Having said that, I've not tried them with a ladder although they can hop up into their pop hole OK (although that is only a matter of inches rather than feet). I'd have thought it was design rather than ability. Is it just a ladder with gaps in between? Could you board it in?

On another note, I lifted our duck house up a bit by putting it on a pallet - so adding only about 4 inches to its height - and caused the ducks all sorts of issues with the ramp. In the end I put little bars across it so they could grip better but they still insist on trying to get onto the side of the ramp rather than starting at the end and waddling up. So boarding it in is no guarantee they'll work out how to use it the way you intend!

skianne

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2012, 12:23:09 pm »
Thanks Hester.  Yes the ladder is really a board with little rails going across so no gaps to fall between.  Last night, they did attempt to go up after the legbars and made it half way before one of them decided that frankly, enough was enough and tried to nod off there and then  ;D so I pushed her up, and then the other one had a go and got half way before they need a push so we are getting there.  I had also propped the ladder on a couple of shallow stones to make the angle less acute so maybe that helped. 
Fingers crossed they make it all the way tonight!!

Thanks again!

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2012, 07:45:51 pm »
Legbars are a flighty breed and will roost in trees given the chance. Orpingtons are a heavy breed and prefer the floor. Our perches at 18" are too high for half of them. There is a risk of falling and of bumble foot from impact damage. You may be better with a ramp at a smaller angle, so double the length. Ours have stairs and fly up rather than tread the steps -not easy for a piggy Orpington.

Maddie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Inverbervie
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2012, 10:24:17 pm »
I have 4 buffs and they were the same at first but after a bit of encouragement they are fine!  :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS