Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sausages  (Read 1556 times)

Templelands

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Strathaven, South Lanarkshire
    • Templeland Cottage
Sausages
« on: December 09, 2012, 11:46:01 am »
Well our first pig is back from the abattoir. We have a butcher in the family and he's just been over to butcher the pig. Was very impressed with the quality of the meat! 50kgs of happy home reared pork.

We have loads of meat to make sausages with. Any good sausage recipes out there and would anyone know where we could get the rusk and spices from? Our family butcher gets stuff from trade suppliers and we don't need enough to order from them.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Sausages
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 11:55:37 am »
Templelands this seems to be the place that most people recommend.
I used them myself but wasn't overly impressed with the seasonings I chose. We had a pork and apple and something with chilli. For the chilli sausages there is a very slight hint of chilli but other than the label I can't tell the difference between the pork and apple and the ordinary pork sausages the butcher made for us. I thought I followed the quantities to the letter but perhaps it just needed more.
http://www.weschenfelder.co.uk/catalog/792/sausage_salami_seasonings_?gclid=CLOEs46hjbQCFTMgtAod8EUAEQ
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 02:07:02 pm »
Weschenfelder is good (as per Sally's post) I also use Tongmaster http://www.tongmaster.co.uk/ Joe who owns it used to be a butcher and is really helpful if you're a bit stuck. They do small packs and big packs of pretty much everything you'll need so you can try out a few and see what you like best  :thumbsup:
If you don't fancy pre-made seasoning mixes, just buy rusk and add your own flavours - honey and mustard, sweet chilli sauce, caramalised onion etc remembering to add iced water to the mix. This way you can get them exactly how you want them  :yum:
HTH
Karen

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 05:45:30 pm »
Yes, I'm an advocate of making your own, too. You can try out recipes by making smaller quantities in meatballs first. You won't be lacking in people wanting to help with the tasting  ;)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS