Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Good Place To Buy Wild Bird Food  (Read 2353 times)

Dicky

• Joined Oct 2012
Good Place To Buy Wild Bird Food
« on: December 01, 2012, 02:19:38 pm »
Any one know a good one, either online or in Norfolk?  We currently put out fat balls, niger seed, peanuts, sunflower hearts and mixed seed.  The fat balls and mixed seed aren't too bad but the others can be really expensive.  Best prices I think I've seen so far have been on Amazon.

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
Re: Good Place To Buy Wild Bird Food
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 03:57:32 pm »
FIL bul buys from the RSPB but I can't believe that's cheap.  We collect from GJW Titmuss but they're local to us and used to be a forum sponsor
Being certain just means you haven't got all the facts

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 02:34:16 am »
You can make your own fat cakes with mixed seed and fat in half a coconut shell or similar.  I think niger seed is a con - very expensive and it's just thistle seeds - we have a great crop of those  :o .  The claim is that goldfinches need niger, but ours eat normal mixed seed.
We get our mixed seed from the agric store at our local mart - you need to watch that you get a good selection of seed types, as cheaper mixes tend to be mostly cereal grains.
We get our peanuts from our local pet shop, partly because we like to support them, but also because their price for a whole sack is not high.
For the fancy stuff, Dobbies isn't bad, but you would probably get it cheaper online, if postage isn't too much.

It's great to feed the wild birds.  Between all our feeders and our growing hedges, wild bird numbers here have increased dramatically since we moved here 17 years ago  :thumbsup:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 08:16:40 am »
Our local British Trust for Ornithology volunteer sells bird food to raise funds for BTO, so we buy it there. Might be worth contacting them to see if there is similar in our area and kill two birds with one stone metaphorically speaking)

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 08:07:26 pm »
RSPB website. They sell in small and large quantities and you know that you are getting good quality. Fast delivery.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS