Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Kitchener stitch - latest socks  (Read 17355 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Kitchener stitch - latest socks
« on: December 01, 2012, 02:19:36 pm »
I have used Kichener stitch a couple of times when making up socks. It grafts together really well but I can never relax when doing it as I need to read the instructions for each stitch every time.
What I mean is that there doesn't seem to be an easy flow that I can remember. Good job that its only used for a few stitches.
I have attached a pic of the latest socks. I have made this for my sister as part of her christmas present.
Just need to block them now so that they look a bit tidier.
Sally

Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Kitchener stitch - latest socks
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 02:38:04 pm »
They look fab, Sally.   :thumbsup:  Sis will be well happy!   :excited:

I'm in the same boat Kitchener stitch-wise.  I plan to give myself some time (when?!) to have a play using large needles and different coloured wools - I'm sure there is a pattern there I'll 'get' if I do this a few times.

Meanwhile, I knit my socks toe-up, using my own two-way cast on (*), hourglass heel, all in one, no sewing required...  :)

(*) If anyone has a pukka two-way cast on they can share, I would love to hear about it!  I'm sure there must be better ways than the contortions I put myself through in order to avoid any Kitchener stitching  :D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 04:54:14 pm »
What brilliant colours! I normally have no trouble with Kitchener stitch - except when lighting is less than perfect, which is almost always in the dark times of the year (that means for around 9 months in Scotland...)  ::)

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 04:58:40 pm »
I love those socks Sally. They are a present to be proud of  :thumbsup:

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 06:16:34 pm »
Fab socks! Do they glow in the dark?  ;D
I have no idea what "Kitchener" stitch is, as I do alll my socks one way only, never bothered to learn another method. Start at the top, turn heel with "shortened" rows, then back to 4 needles and the toes are just knitting together the first stitch (as in reducing by one) on each needle in a regular pattern. Couldn't explain it properly though... no sawing at all required. :relief:

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 06:47:58 pm »
sock envy!!!!  YOu are all speaking a foreign language still....  one day!

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2012, 09:17:08 pm »
sock envy!!!!  YOu are all speaking a foreign language still....  one day!

Same here FiB, sure we'll get there!

Awesome socks Bionic  :thumbsup:

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2012, 10:48:55 pm »
Love those socks, Sally.  I'm tempted to have a go myself although I struggle to knit with four needles.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, 02:02:20 am »
Wow - dazzling socks  :thumbsup:  I love them  :knit:

Kitchener stitch:  after setting up, with top stitches on one needle and sole stitches on another:  slip first st on front needle onto sewing needle as if to knit; slip needle through second stitch as if to pearl, but leaving st on needle, with yarn through it.  Go to back needle, slip first st off as if to pearl, pull yarn through second st as if to knit.

So front needle, 1st st knitwise, 2nd st pearlwise; back needle first st pearlwise, 2nd st knitwise.

This will (hopefully) make sense to those who have already tried Kitchener stitch.  As I'm doing it I mutter 'as if to knit, as if to pearl' - 'as if to pearl, as if to knit'.

Leave the yarn very loose through the stitches in case you make a mistake, as if you tighten them on the first pass you can't see where you are.  Once all the graft is done, go back and tension them all properly.

Simples  :hohoho: :hohoho: :hohoho:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2012, 08:57:33 am »
I've bookmarked that, FW.  It doesn't quite make sense in abstract but I'll pull it back up when I'm ready to have a go, and I know it'll come together then.  Thanks!   :-*
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2012, 09:06:09 am »
Thanks Fleecewife, I will give it a go using your method although the pair I have just started won't need it as they are done using Ankes' method.
For those of you that haven't tried to knit socks or struggle with 4/5 needles do give it a go. I was in your position last year. There is a thread on here somewhere about it. I kept stabbing myself with the needles but perservered and have now made 3 pairs. Its really addictive once you get the hang of them and very rewarding when you wear them.
Sally

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2012, 09:22:25 am »
For those of you that haven't tried to knit socks or struggle with 4/5 needles do give it a go. I was in your position last year. There is a thread on here somewhere about it.  Its really addictive once you get the hang of them and very rewarding when you wear them.
Sally
This

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2012, 10:55:59 pm »
I don't stab myself - not often anyway - but in the attempt to avoid holes when you change needles, wnd up on only two with two spare.  Mad.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2012, 05:19:24 am »
To avoid the hole between needles, I knit a few extra stitiches off the end of each needle each time.  If I've got company and am chattering while knitting I do sometimes realise I've reached the end of a needle and already have one awaiting redeployment!  :D  But as I use 5 in total, I still have 3 in a triangle, so it's not too bad.  ;)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2012, 09:32:16 am »
Sally I do exactly the same as you do. Knit a few extra stitches and then knit them back a couple of rows later so that I keep more or less to the same starting points in the end.
It seems to work quite well
Sally

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS