Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: 2 months till kids due.  (Read 4828 times)

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
2 months till kids due.
« on: December 01, 2012, 08:16:18 am »
As title says my 2 pygmys are due to kid at the end of January/beg February, they are out in a paddock during the day with a pig ark as shelter and share a 10x12 stable at night. They are twins and have been together since birth, do I need to separate them? It will be easy enough to split the stable but when out I only have 1 pig ark. I am assuming that as it is probably going to be bloody freezing when kids are born that I will need to set up a heat lamp or 2 ? also what injections should they be having now?.  :knit:
Anne

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
Re: 2 months till kids due.
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 05:54:37 pm »
Daiys Mum - I let mine all roam around together - wethers, mum's and kids during the day but they are penned with their kids at night - really so I can gauge feed etc. I keep mine in for a week under a heat lamp full time then just a night for the second week but I'm probably overboard!!

If we get a good day I would let kids out for a couple of hours in the sun at 3/4 days old if they are fit and strong.

Good luck with your kidding - I'm counting down the days to mid-jan  :fc: :fc:
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 06:06:15 pm »
Feeding: I start to put my dairy goats on an increasing (over an 8 week period) ration of concentrate, similar to the sheep. Just keep watching that they are eating, especially in the last couple of weeks. I have no ideas on quantities for pygmies though.
Vaccination: If the nannies are in the Lambivac system all they need is a 2ml booster about 4 weeks before kidding to make sure that the kids get all the antibodies in the colostrum.
Housing: I would leave the together till near the end and then have separate pens for them during the night and when inside during the day. That way they have peace and quiet when kidding and to allow bonding with their individual kids.
Heatlamps are a good idea, also most of mine really like to have a sideup box in their pen, too rovide a "cave" for the kids. One of mine freaked out though when she couldn't see where her kid had gone...

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 07:44:34 pm »
Maybe some sheep hurdles for christmas Anne?  I'd like to come and visit when they've arrived if poss.  My girl is in with Kim's billy at the moment, so won't be due until May  :sunshine:   :sunshine:   :sunshine:
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 11:31:58 pm »

Thanks all for replies, I have about 8 sheep hurdles and as the sheep are away till after lambing they will be free. Will need to check with Gordon if girls are in Lambivac system , should I do them for cae as well as i am hoping to show them next year anyway?
Anne

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 06:12:03 pm »
Kids go off mum's CAE test - so I would leave any testing till spring time when everyone back to their stress free selves - no benifit from taking pregnant mum's to the vets now.
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 06:15:11 pm »
Oh and although I have not measure the bars on my hurdles but pygmy kids are really tiny - when our first ones were born they used to squeeze through the bars (about 4" - I think) into the dog kennel - to lie in her bed in the sun!!

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 07:17:19 pm »
Oh and although I have not measure the bars on my hurdles but pygmy kids are really tiny - when our first ones were born they used to squeeze through the bars (about 4" - I think) into the dog kennel - to lie in her bed in the sun!!
Perhaps I had better board them half way up then. The girls appear to have gone off their food, they are eating their hay and seem bright enough but have no interest in their goat mix, they did enjoy some cabbage leaves and carrots yesterday.

Anne

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, 08:40:04 pm »
The girls appear to have gone off their food, they are eating their hay and seem bright enough but have no interest in their goat mix, they did enjoy some cabbage leaves and carrots yesterday.
You need to make sure they keep eating a bit more than hay, if they don't like their usual mix  try bananas, carrots etc and maybe some sugar beet shreds (soaked) with some oats.
If goats are quite chubby early on in their pregnancy and/or are carrying more than twins they are much more likely to get pregnancy toxaemia.

Polished Arrow

• Joined Mar 2012
  • Forest of Dean
  • www.cinderhilllfarm.com
    • www.cinderhillfarm.com
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2012, 08:40:59 pm »
Our ladies are at Tizaala and Perdita's place meeting the Handsome Tallis.  But so far, only Chanel has accepted Tallis' advances.  Naughty-bad goats.  They were all in season last autumn/winter.  It must have been all show and bluff  ::)

Anyway, assuming that there at least one of the three comes back expecting, we are soooooo looking forward to our first ever home-born little kid(s)  :excited:   I expect I shall be sleeping in the stable with the mothers-to-be from about a week before the due date 'just in case'!  I feel all grandmotherly about them, I realise :hug:
www.cinderhillfarm.com

We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are.
Anais Nin

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2012, 10:43:12 pm »
I'll never forget seeing my first one born.  Such a wonderful experience.  I won't forget the second one either but for the wrong reasons.  he came out head first.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS