Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Egg mystery  (Read 2637 times)

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
Egg mystery
« on: December 01, 2012, 06:29:53 am »
Hi

I have a broody hen that I didn't know if she was poorly or broody (in November). Moved her from the flock to keep an eye on her. After a few days I decided she was broody so put 6eggs under her. She is eating, pooing and drinking water. But,  last week there was only 5 eggs and yesterday only 4. No evidence of egg or shell. On day 13. What's your thoughts?
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

aaronsundin

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Aberdeenshire , Scotland
Re: Egg mystery
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 07:17:20 am »
I could be a stoat has gained enty to the coop and made off with the eggs . They can carry eggs off without leaving any trace what so ever . In the past I even had a fake egg stolen . Stoats will also attack chickens , we lost a couple just recently and have to put the entire flock into one of the out buildings until we can get rid of it . Do a good check of your chicken coop to see if there any access points , good luck .

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 07:23:35 am »
When I thought she may be poorly, I moved her to isolation and put her in a horse box so she is till in there. 
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 08:42:06 am »
I would guess rats.

scruffbag

• Joined Nov 2012
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 08:14:32 pm »
I've had a few heavy sitters in the past, once the egg is cracked they eat it all shell as well!

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 08:27:37 pm »
Scruff bag -  that's interesting, that's what i was thinking too

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2012, 09:50:04 pm »
I have had both happen, the ones that eat the eggs if they get damaged IME always spill enough egg to make the bedding sticky.
Stoats/rats carry the egg off whole. Please be careful as if it is a stoat it WILL eat your chook once the eggs are gone :-\
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 04:17:24 pm »
Now down to 3!!!!

Its most bizarre,  wishing I had a video camera so I could see what's going on. Also of the six eggs I put under her only 3were hers the other 3 were a scots dumpys. Do you think she has eaten the 3 that weren't hers.
Next Sunday is hatching day. At this rate Im not counting any chickens. Was initially dithering about giving her eggs, as didn't think nov was a good time of year to encourage broodiness. Will keep you updated
Mojo

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, 05:39:28 pm »
I really would move her if she were mine, whatever is eating the eggs will run out soon, and your chickie will probably just stay sitting. Easy meal :-\
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2012, 06:56:11 pm »
Have to agree with CW. I would try and move her or make the area secure. If she were eating the eggs herself I think you would be able to see a sticky/yellow/blood stained area on the bedding.  :o  She might be next on the menu  :o :(

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2012, 02:33:51 pm »
Just a quick update

I believe she ate the 3 eggs herself and today is day 22 and just checked and I can hear cheaping coming from eggs. Have to admit quite excited , i have never attempted to hatch eggs so we will see what happens. Hopefully wont be too cold for chicks . Will let you know in due course
Mojo

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS