Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ram lamb rejected by abbatoir  (Read 10929 times)

dyedinthewool

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Orpingtons and assorted Sheep
Ram lamb rejected by abbatoir
« on: November 30, 2012, 05:51:59 pm »
Hi,

A bit of information please.  I bought a ram lamb at local mart in late Sept to cover my 'vast' flock of three ewes.  He was sold as a store but was in the ram section.

He did his job and none returned, unfortunately I couldn't keep him as not enough acreage to keep a ram and ewes and lambs plus I have four ewe lambs from this year I am breeding from next year, so I put him back into the mart (Tue) yesterday I had a call from the mart to say he had been rejected by the abattoir because he had ??? wasn't sure of what the guy said - it's something to do with picking up worms from dog faeces.  I said i don't have any dogs neither do any of my neighbours, we've not had any hounds across (local gun pack sometimes shoot on neighbours land and the hounds have been known to cross the top paddock).

What was he on about? and will he have passed it on to my girls.

And on a secondary note can I claim my money back from the guy the ram came from or do I count it as 'beware' and don't buy anything from a mart in future.....
You are never to old to learn something new

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
Re: Ram lamb rejected by abbatoir
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 05:56:48 pm »
He's talking about a Gid cyst.....which is picked up by sheep eating grass that has had unwormed dogs s****ing on it, basically, and the gid works its way to the brain and starts eating that too.....that's in a nutshell really.  There's lots of info if you look up Gid Cyst but as to where you stand, I'm not sure.   What have they done with the carcase?   Gone to knacker yard presumably.   
Mx
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

dyedinthewool

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 06:51:31 pm »
Hi Blinkers, :wave: :wave:

Hope you are all okay up there. ;D ;D

Waiting for the mart guy to get back to me with more info.

He did say 'some' farmers don't always keep up to date with worming their dogs so it could be 'poor' hygiene on the farm issue.  He was going to see from the 'ear tag' info who the ram came from.

Now I know what it's called I'l have a google - he must have abreviated it as it didn't sound like that.  I don't always understand the Welsh acccent... ::)

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 07:20:52 pm »
Hiya D  :wave: :hug:

I guess if the ram came from one of the mountain flocks then there's not a lot they can do other than keep their fingers crossed that dog owners keep their dogs tapeworm wormed.     A few years ago, the vet diagnosed a gid in my Ram Hywel (there is a post on here somewhere).  However, fortunately the vet was wrong and Hywel had suffered a minor TIA (stroke) which left him blind in his left eye and a bit of a problem cudding on that side.    Having said that, he's still with me, still covers a few ewes each year, is still a devil at tupping time, and is still an absolute 'love' the rest of the time.     Sadly, your chap has been opened up and the evidence has been exposed, but it would be good for you to know who the breeder/flock owner was, so that maybe you can avoid a further purchase from that particular flock.   
We;re fine here.....now !!!!    Waterfalls coming off the fields last week and one of the goat sheds flooded when the drainage ditch was breached, but all OK now and everyone back in their respective pens....phew.     Glorious last few days though, thank goodness.   How's the pork?  :thumbsup: .
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

Canadian Sheepfarmer

• Joined Nov 2009
  • Manitoba, Canada.
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 07:23:00 pm »
Over here we call it sheep measels. The carcase has white rings in the meat, a bit like measels in people. It cannot be sold as it looks wrong.

By bad hygene I presume he means that dogs, or other canines have been feeding on sheep carcases left unburied or uncomposted. The parasite travels from sheep to dogs. Dogs to sheep.

It is an increasing problem here in Canada as so many of us now have big white dogs, Great Pyrenees, Marremas, Akbash etc etc, living 24/7 with our flocks for predator control.
They work, and are the price of doing business in a lot of places, but this is one of the downsides.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 08:02:43 pm »
Sometimes it's called 'hydatid'

dyedinthewool

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 08:57:48 pm »
Been doing a bit of googling to find out more - but other than telling me that the dog/possible fox is the original contaminator and that the gid infects the sheep I cannot find anything about whether the paddocks that the ram has been in are now contaminated and whether my other sheep may pick up a 'gid/' from the  ram lamb (he was such a sweety) poor thing. Or does it the 'end' within the the ram lamb.

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 09:05:26 pm »
Ah, no the rest of your stock should be fine.  I don't think it can be passed on, it is something that's picked up from the ground......as far as I know.    Canadian Sheepfarmer may know more, but I think it stops at the animal that its gained access to.....if you see what I mean.
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

Welshcob

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012, 09:21:14 pm »
It sounds like echinococcus to me. It is a tapeworm of canids (which are the definitive hosts) and it is transmitted to the intermediate host (sheep, cattle and other erbivores) by eating food contaminated with their eggs. It is also a zoonosis, so people could get infected with eggs.

The result, as you've been told, is cysts in the meat (and other organs, it tends to go to liver, lungs, brain etc) which condemn the carcass. If the meat with cysts is eaten by a canid, the parasite cycle can start again.

Other sheep won't have caught it from your ram as it needs the passage through dog/fox feces to transmit, and also if you are sure that they won't have had contact with dogs whilst with you, this sort of cysts can take months, even years to develop. I would say the ram picked the infection up before you got him.

dyedinthewool

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2012, 09:59:38 pm »
Thanks all,
Found several articles on a vaccination programme for ALL dogs on farms in Wales, would have been interesting to know if the farm my ram came from was participating in the scheme.

Got real worried that I'd infected the ground.  Looks like a £100 down the drain and very expensive lambs when they get here in March.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2012, 04:41:30 am »
It would be worming of dogs you'd need not vaccination, though I supposed owners who vaccinate are maybe more likely to worm as well?

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2012, 08:07:07 am »
If foxes count as canids could it still not come from fox poo - they do a lot of it on one of our fields (def fox not dog)?

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2012, 08:59:36 am »
Yes foxes are carriers but it is the dog owners who always gets the flack. sorry about your loss
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 09:23:23 am by bigchicken »
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

Remy

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2012, 09:35:48 am »
That's interesting, yet another sheep related condition I've never heard of!  My area is rife with foxes and my fields always have foxpoo on them, I also have dogs but they are all wormed.  Sorry you found out the hard way - if it's any consolation I daren't add up the losses I've suffered this year ..  :-\
1 horse, 2 ponies, 4 dogs, 2 Kune Kunes, a variety of sheep

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2012, 12:20:12 pm »
In order to get Echinococcus, the foxes would have to eat infected sheep carcasses. So it's controllable in the fox population in that way, even if not by worming them.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS