Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: DEVISTATING NEWS!  (Read 9520 times)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: DEVISTATING NEWS!
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2009, 05:57:31 pm »

(if it get the go ahead am sure you'll forget that the wind turbine is there, and see past it.)

Linz
I'm sorry but this is just the attitude that allows these big companies to run roughshod over the general public.  Their motto seems to be - "If we just keep on with our project they will get used to it and sleep through the noise!"

The same thing applies to these damned trains going through the night past my bedroom window.  I will NOT get used to it and you , Farmer, have every right to make your opinion known on your right to a view.  I personally would prefer a windfarm to a nuclear power station given a choice, but you have my sympathies
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2009, 06:09:50 pm »
Oi am not saying lay down and allow it !

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2009, 06:41:35 pm »
Farmer, do try to get in touch with protest groups which were successful, (maybe there are some in your area?) and get organized with other likeminded folk. :&>

kevkev57

• Joined Sep 2008
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2009, 08:10:11 am »
Sorry to hear about the turbines. In my experience though it will not be quite as bad as you are thinking now.

Forget trying to stop them, it ain't going to happen, unless its a large farm, then you might just might stop it. Wind turbines are modern sacred cows.

I have two near me, well not that near, one is 1km the other 2 km away. Still very visible though.

I have mixed views about them. I am for this kind of energy, but I really think that some people look at them with rose tinted glasses ( might help ! )  If you repeat the mantra " turbines are the solution " twenty times a day and before going to bed, you might just believe it. They are part of the solution.

The only potential ( slight )problems that I have seen with my own eyes are.

1.  Huge shadows that flicker across the fields close by as the blades turn. This can drive you to distraction but you are hopefully not that close as the law no longer allows that. Initially cows get disturbed but soon adapt.

2.  Ice debris in winter. Turbines do not turn all the time, and ice build up on the blades can cause debris far and wide, huge chunks sometimes. Of all the truths , urban legends about turbines this one is a FACT.

3.  A complete eysore in my opinion, required I am afraid to say. They tend to look in my opinion better from a distance. A nice feature as you are driving by or enjoying a walk. However close up they are ugly and feature less.

A couple of other points. The blades and hub are designed to give approx 25 years service before replacement or major repair. Most are top quality German build.

One amusing item.  Locally several people including me, have asked for planning permission to put up a small turbine on our land. We are talking about land, not little gardens here. Remote areas with no neighbours close by. We were all rejected on the basis that they did not blend in with the scenery. Two 60 metre turbines are ok though.....

Kevin
Wallonia

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2009, 08:24:00 am »
It's these "double standards" that make the situation a whole lot worse!!!

cmorrell

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Kirkintilloch, NE of Glasgow
    • Calum Morrell Photography
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2009, 10:22:57 am »
One amusing item.  Locally several people including me, have asked for planning permission to put up a small turbine on our land. We are talking about land, not little gardens here. Remote areas with no neighbours close by. We were all rejected on the basis that they did not blend in with the scenery. Two 60 metre turbines are ok though.....
Obviously I don't know about your specific case, but generally larger projects require planning permission from central government while domestic "green" energy sources require planning permission from local planning offices. Two entirely separate bodies with typically entirely different goals ... I hardly call that double standards, just different opinions.

As for the specific reason your smaller turbines were rejected, central government guidance in the form of Planning Policy Statement 22 allows very few reasons a local planning officer can reject an application for a micro generation scheme ... the subjective option of "serious visual impact" is one of those few reasons allowed.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2009, 10:25:23 am »
I hardly call that double standards, just different opinions.

Of course it's double standards it's Government bodies we are talking about here, they are full of double standards and corruption!!!!

cmorrell

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2009, 10:34:48 am »
They are different government bodies which may be controlled by different parties and have distinctly different ideas on what should be happening. It would only be double standards if the same body made the decisions for the large turbines and the domestic turbines in this case (which they may have done, as I said, I don't know the specific case, only the generics).

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2009, 12:05:58 pm »
Well, you may call it the other typical thing - that one hand doesn't know or care what the other is doing. Even worse...
I do not agree that it is not worth fighting - as I said 2 abominable schemes have been abolished in our area because of  it. :&>

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2009, 12:10:12 pm »
If you loose and fought as hard as you could at least you know you tried.

kevkev57

• Joined Sep 2008
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2009, 12:28:26 pm »
I should have made it clear that I am in Belguim not the UK !
Kevin
Wallonia

cmorrell

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2009, 12:50:45 pm »
That won't alter the sentiment in the previous responses, but it will certainly nullify the content!  :D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS