Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Registered (in-pig) OSB sow and young gilt for sale, Lanark  (Read 2363 times)

HappyHippy

Registered (in-pig) OSB sow and young gilt for sale, Lanark
« on: November 29, 2012, 08:23:40 am »
Hi,

We're sadly giving up the OSB's (just can't get them to mix with our Large Black herd and don't have the space to run to seperate lots of 'big' pigs at the mo)
So have for sale a perfect wee starter herd.
Poppy is a lovely sow, very well handled and friendly and the gilt (born July 2012) is much the same, though less handled. Once the piglets are weaned, both will be ready for the boar  ;)

Good home is far more important than price, so if you're interested please get in touch. Message through TAS or my email is kkjmckay@aol.com Delivery might be possible too.
Many thanks, Karen

kja

• Joined Oct 2012
Re: Registered (in-pig) OSB sow and young gilt for sale, Lanark
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 09:00:56 am »
strange you say about them not mixing we have had OSB's in the past and found this too.

karen it might help if you say what lines they are.
we can still learn if we are willing to listen.

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 04:50:36 pm »
Sorry, silly me  ::) :innocent:

Sow is Thornielee Elsie 28 out of Cakemuir Elsie 8 and sire Harecroft Jack 3.
Gilt is Elsie, sire Greenside Alistair 3 - birth notified, not yet registered but exceeds breed standards (IMHO) and a good gilt so will register if wished. Will get into trouble from Bruce for saying so, but at this point a good, breeding home is far more important to me than cash, so make me an offer  ;)

Karen  :wave:

anderso

• Joined Jan 2012
  • brokenbrough
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 07:44:35 pm »
HI Karen if you have not sold your pigs yet I am seeing someone tomorrow evening who is looking to start a small breeding unit with OSB's   - she has been messed about around by so called breeders down here

I can have a word and pass on your details if you wish -

regards
Pat
when the revolution comes it will be a co-op

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 10:00:50 pm »
I fancied starting with OSBs a couple of years ago, but found they wouldn't mix with the Tamworths, so had to sell. I just couldn't justify the expense of separate paddocks and arks.

One sow leapt over a stock fence to attack two Tammies a good six inches taller (and a lot heavier) than her. She beat them up and took over their ark. She also threw two growers up in the air with one flick of the snout. One couldn't walk for a fortnight.

Such a shame. The meat was fantastic, and I found I could grow them on longer than the Tamworths without them laying down anything like as much fat.

I expect I just had a bad experience. I'm sure there are many others who find their OSBs will get on with anything.
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

HappyHippy

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 09:20:37 am »
Hi Liz,

We found she mixed okay with our Tamworth and the Berkshires when we had them - she's fine with other ginger pigs or ones that are smaller than her but for some unknown reason the Large Blacks are just a no-no. They don't bother in the slightest but she just doesn't let up  ::)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS