Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Disaster!  (Read 15487 times)

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
Disaster!
« on: November 28, 2012, 10:26:35 am »
Oh what a crap day! Bloody rain won't stop .Came home late yesterday afternoon to find one of my fatteners laid in hedgeback, from the marks in the mud it would appear he had shuffled there to get out of the appalling weather hnd had been there sometime as was very cold, when tried to move him he howled his head off so rang OH and he came home and we got a pallet on the back of the tractor and managed to roll him on and bring him into the farrowing house(only pig free building at mo!) where we cleaned him up, wrapped him in sacking and covered him with straw, managed to get soem warm porridge in to him and left him for a couple of hours until we could examine him. We now suspect he has broken his back as he sits like a labrador and seems content to eat and drink as normal in this position but if you try to lift his back end he screams out, waiting for vet to come but suspect he will have to be pts which is a bugger as he was due to go to the butcher on Monday, cannot believe it, i knew i'd left them too long out in that bar steward of a muddy field but just so short of space for them and i like them to be out free ranginf if they're meat pigs so they can have the best life. He was also the runt which you may remeber i bottle fed and have nurtured to slaughter weight so double gutted. :'( >:( :(
This is the part of keeping stock i hate, off for a good cry and to straighten my head out before vet comes :-[
Mandy :pig:

kja

• Joined Oct 2012
Re: Disaster!
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 10:32:16 am »
mandy could he have slipped in the mud and splayed his legs ? this causes them to sit like dogs with a shot of metacam & anti b's he could be mended (not much help for d day though )

the reason i say this is i had a pig slip a few months back that acted just the same she is 110% now due to farrow on the 2nd jan.

fingers crossed  :pig:
we can still learn if we are willing to listen.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 10:36:01 am »
Kja that crossed my mind too as have seen pigs recover from it before but think this is more than that, we shall see, thanks for trying to uplift my spirits.
mandy :pig:

kja

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 10:41:15 am »
 :fc: keep us updated mandy

btw the hunt number was dialed she was so bad screaming out when ever we tried to touch her but we gave her 24 hrs kept jabing anti b's the d day came we looked in on her and there she stood  :relief: it took 2 weeks for 100%

xx :pig:
we can still learn if we are willing to listen.

Laurasfarm

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Wigan
    • Laura's Organics
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 12:37:41 pm »
Aww sounds like a rubish morning

Maybe he's just being he's just being a sulky man about it, there very melodramatic.  Hope the vet has some good news for you :fc:

FiBob

• Joined Nov 2012
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 12:42:01 pm »
I third all this! Hope he's ok!!

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2012, 12:44:28 pm »
I recon they have either pulled something or tore a muscle, otherwise, if the back was broken would they not be more floppy, lack of any control in the legs?

I am by no means an expert but hope that its not a break!!  :fc:

ppd

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Sutherland
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2012, 01:37:08 pm »
Mandy
Hope that things are not as bad as you suspect and good luck :bouquet:

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2012, 01:37:43 pm »
So sorry to hear your news. If it's any use, I had a gilt who went over a fence - badly. She was so badly injured, I thought she'd have to be shot. Turned out she had torn ligaments. Took two months of anti-inflammatories and daily physio (walking round, holding the tail), but she went on to be a brilliant breeding sow.

Another gilt slipped in mud whilst being chased by a young boar. Didn't walk for a fortnight and didn't eat for three weeks and hardly drank, either. She went from being a slightly overweight show pig (breed champion) to a coat rack. That was in March. She's since made a full recovery.

Pigs seem to have an amazing capacity for coping with pain and injury. Hope you get some good news soon. Liz x
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2012, 01:52:18 pm »
Awful news, hope it is just a severe pull rather than more serious  :fc:
 :bouquet:  :hug:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2012, 02:57:02 pm »
 :fc: for you Mandy  :bouquet:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Polished Arrow

• Joined Mar 2012
  • Forest of Dean
  • www.cinderhilllfarm.com
    • www.cinderhillfarm.com
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2012, 03:05:45 pm »
My piggies always sound like they are in death throes, even when it is as small a something as having their feet cleaned up for inspection, or ears cleaned out to check for mites etc.  When it is as serious as having ears notched, you'd think we were actually performing illegal torture on them.  So, I am now somewhat deaf to their noises and try to look at the individual instead of listening to it (hard - it is a pretty insistent noise, a pig in pain...).

If he can sit and eat, I don't reckon he can have broken his back.  Hopefully it is something ligament related - a bit like sciatica, maybe? 

Aren't you glad you aren't a vet, though, when you have this sort of thing to try to work out...

Thinking of you all and hoping there's another good outcome for this little piggy xx
www.cinderhillfarm.com

We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are.
Anais Nin

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2012, 04:11:07 pm »
sorry to hear about your pig Mandy any news yet. :fc:
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

Bumblebear

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Norfolk
    • http://southwellski.blogspot.co.uk/
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2012, 04:28:35 pm »
What a bar steward of a day.  Hope it's good news by now.   :hug:

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2012, 04:57:16 pm »
can only echoe the others - hope all is ok, and let us know  :fc:
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS