Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Boer Newcomers  (Read 4068 times)

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
Boer Newcomers
« on: November 28, 2012, 01:27:52 am »
about 5 months old.
Actually had them a couple of weeks now, but they are quite timid, I think I am slowly winning them round, tried to rush things at first, now I just sit in with them giving them bits of carrots etc.
 - Not sure just what or how much to feed? they are on lamb mix, beef nuts, carrots, bit of bread, a little rolled barley,and hay ad lib. Just got some dairy nuts, previous owner had them on dairy nuts, rolled barley and carrots.
But what sort of measurement/weight should they be eating?
Should they get the same minerals (brinicombes) the Toggs get?
I am planning on worming them, do they have double dose as for dairy goats?
sorry, lots of basic questions, but they always seem to want more, and Boris esp is starting to look more like a round ball.
I was also told they are later maturing, but I have now separated them within the pen, would she show signs of season like my milkers? not seen anything yet.

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
Re: Boer Newcomers
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 06:51:55 pm »
We treat our Boers just like any of the other goats, same food same hay and same licks
we have noticed the Boers eat a lot more hay than the dairys do  :-\
Graham

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 10:08:03 pm »
I feed my Boer crosses on calf grower nuts and oats plus occasional seaweed, garlic and linseed oil.  I have been advised that higher % and 100% Boers shouldn't be fed barley as it causes liver damage.  Seems to be a difference of opinion on this but worth taking care.

The lady I bought females from uses Harpers calf feed which is 33% protein and mixes with oats to reduce overall protein level to 14%.

Mine also like some soaked sugarbeet in it now although weren't so keen to start with.

They look cute.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 11:25:28 am »
Darn it, just bought more dairy nuts after advice from breeder, calf nuts would have made more sense. I can't do with any more varieties of feed, I'll have to use what I've got.
It's just that there is always this plaintive little bleat as I go in the barn, as though they are hungry, there is hay in the rack, in fact I was tying hay in a bundle for them to pull at, thinking they were struggling with pulling it out of the rack.
I was just worried I'm missing something, their intake is obviously much more than my Toggs.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 03:38:39 pm »
about 5 months old.
Actually had them a couple of weeks now, but they are quite timid, I think I am slowly winning them
I was also told they are later maturing, but I have now separated them within the pen, would she show signs of season like my milkers? not seen anything yet.

Cloud, who is half Boer, is now seven months and hasn't come into season yet so I wouldn't worry about that.  She is also an incredibly greedy goat and pushes her way in to get more than her fair share of food. If I didn't know any better, I would suspect that the other half is labrador). Fortunately the others push back.  She is also get rather rotund.

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 10:06:56 pm »
their intake is obviously much more than my Toggs.
Our definatly get through a lot more feed than the toggs do and always start the I am starving shout as soon as they see anyone
Graham

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 10:34:28 pm »
their intake is obviously much more than my Toggs.
Our definatly get through a lot more feed than the toggs do and always start the I am starving shout as soon as they see anyone
Thanks - a relief in a way to know it isn't just mine, I suppose with their shape, they will need more.
They are due to be wormed, do I give them double dose like the Toggs?

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 08:02:07 pm »
Yes supposedly goats get double dose. My young chaps also bleat as if they have been starved but I think it is also just them chatting.  Dreading this week as they will be off for the chop.  Not looking forward to it.  :gloomy:

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, 10:33:33 pm »
All wormed this morning, considering they were still a bit wary of me before, I'm surprised they aren't back to hiding at the back of the pen again, actually managed to scratch girl's back tonight. I do wish they would come for a tickle and scratch like the rest of the gang. Just time I suppose, I'm impatient for that 'contact'. :(

Dreading this week as they will be off for the chop.  Not looking forward to it.  :gloomy:
You'll feel better when it's over, by the time they went I was relieved to get my togg boys away, more time for the others and a shuffle round. I felt awful the night before, they came nuzzling me for treats, but I haven't missed them at all.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS