Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Elections  (Read 4449 times)

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Elections
« on: June 04, 2009, 11:26:01 am »
Anyone else noticed the lack of information re todays elections? We have received NO info re post or cold calling and there are no signs stuck up on any lamp posts etc. I have just been and voted and yes we are a very small village but I was the only person there and the staff said they had been very quiet. Even outside the poling office there was no one standing trying to persuade you to vote for them. 13 parties to vote for and with exception to the main ones there were people there I had never heard of.

I admit I voted SNP for the first time in my life, not because I want Independence (cos I don't) but because I feel they have made significant changes to my life since they got into Government in the Scottish Parliament. I have never felt benefits like this before from any other party.

I suspect it will be a different story tomorrow when the results are in and the English By Elections have humiliated Mr Brown!! They will have plenty to say then.

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
Re: Elections
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 01:09:39 pm »
you are right, i've seen NOTHING here.

aye they'll be keeping their heads down.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 03:11:25 pm »
I've had a few leaflets in - Labour, Tory and UKIP.  I think it's unfortunate that the BNP is alphabetically the first candidate on the list.  I don't think I have seen such a long ballot paper.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 05:50:44 pm »
we've had a few leaflets, polling station in Cupar was fairly quiet in the morning :&>

JD

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Glasgow
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 07:30:29 pm »
Just been to vote and couldn't believe there were no party supporters at the polling station handing out leaflets or vying for votes. The word apathy springs to mind.
JD 

Farmer

• Joined May 2009
  • Sidway, Staffordshire
    • Farmeats.com
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 10:50:42 pm »
Same situation here in sunny Staffordshire - no leaflets or door knockers and no sign of campaign posters anywhere - however, at around 6.30 this evening our local conservative agent knocked the door and asked if we had voted yet - the strange thing was that he had climbed over a locked five bar gate and chanced his way passed our dogs in order to get to the front door; not bad for a man in his early seventies - DESPERATE OR WHAT?

The guy at the polling station said that the turn out had been the lowest he'd ever known, between 7am - 1pm he had only THREE voters!!

I asked if I could claim travel expenses but he didn't even smile

Farmer

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2009, 10:52:20 pm »
Farmer there is no money left in the Petty Cash tin for your travelling - remember the MP'S have stolen it all hee hee.

Farmer

• Joined May 2009
  • Sidway, Staffordshire
    • Farmeats.com
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2009, 07:48:43 am »
NO, NO, James - not stolen - all spent within the 'rules' or mistakenly/accidentally claimed. You'll be accusing our MP's of disshonesty next...tut, tut.

Farmer
 :farmer:

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2009, 07:52:35 am »
Tut tut me, I hope no MP's read this or they may threaten me with legal action too  :dunce:

I see another Cabinet Minister has quit, I think we may be back at the poling station for a General Election SOON.

Pigtails

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Scotland
    • 29brawl
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2009, 08:04:36 pm »
It must be to do with all the "in fighting" ordinary members of the public don't matter, we didn't even receive our voting cards.
Pigtails

cmorrell

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Kirkintilloch, NE of Glasgow
    • Calum Morrell Photography
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2009, 09:43:10 pm »
I'm an Accredited Observer with the Electoral Commission and spent yesterday touring nine polling places through East Dunbartonshire and Glasgow along with the Drumchapel local council by-election count. I couldn't believe how quiet it was. Most polling places I visited were struggling to reach 20% turn out. The ONLY places I saw any party representative, was at the polling places in Bishopbriggs South (another local council by-election) and the Labour rep I spoke with made it clear they were only there because they were concerned a loss would lead to the lab/con control passing to the SNP! Drumchapel had just 26.9% turnout and it looks like it was higher due to the by-election.

I'll be at the Glasgow count centre on Sunday evening for the EU count. This could be interesting ... or possibly just quick  :-\
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 04:13:11 pm by cmorrell »

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2009, 03:33:02 pm »
Our polling station had had a 13% turn out when we went to vote. I'm working at the count tomorrow night (if I don't forget to go _ ikeep forgetting about it then remembering again!) but we can't declare before 9pm so we're stuck until them even if there are only a few votes.

cmorrell

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Kirkintilloch, NE of Glasgow
    • Calum Morrell Photography
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2009, 04:15:46 pm »
The Glasgow count is beginning around 5:30pm .. they've almost halved the number of counters who'll be there .. I'm still thinking it's going to be complete long before 9pm. Oh well, that means lots of time to talk to officials and party members  :-\

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2009, 07:14:23 pm »
I had Ukip and BNP leaflets through the door and when I was in the car at some traffic lights, near Chatsworth, a Libertas leaflet was pushed through my open window!

I have to confess that I didn't vote - who do I vote for?  I don't have any faith in any of them! :(

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS