Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Adolescent kitten being a bully!  (Read 4208 times)

Shropshirelass

• Joined Jul 2012
  • South Shropshire
  • A country lass who loves it all!
Adolescent kitten being a bully!
« on: November 25, 2012, 08:40:08 pm »
Any tips to sort our 6 month old neutered male kitten Norman out as he has recently turned into a real bully towards some of our older cats which are used to other cats being introduced & are all around 6-7 years old I'm thinking of getting a plant spray bottle tomorrow, he's also taken to hunting garden birds & our grower chicks  >:( >:( >:(

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
Re: Adolescent kitten being a bully!
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 10:47:24 pm »
How long ago did you get him? Has the bullying come along suddenly? Is it at certain times (feeding) or places in the house?

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 11:13:47 pm »
I guess from you working in a vets you already have feliway plugged in.  It's probably just an adolescent thing and hopefully he will grow out of it. It will help if the other cats tell him off.

Are there any specific times or areas that he gets mischievous ?   If so then try changing times or separating him in a time out room for these times. Or changing areas if its after him or other cats feed or toilet.

Otherwise a good telling off and use of water pistol is the way I'd go ( but i am strict with cat and dog acceptable behaviour  :innocent: )

Shropshirelass

• Joined Jul 2012
  • South Shropshire
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, 09:48:40 am »
I've had him since 8weeks so their all used to one another as we've had him for 4 months now & all was fine until a few weeks ago, I suspect its as well because our eldest cat died around then so its maybe an adolescent / or pecking order thing - It doesn't seem to be specific but mainly when he wants to play around our porch or in our living room & he just beats them up & doesn't give up until you grab him or shout, which only works temporarily. He also knows my sisters bf's collie is a complete wuss so torments him by sitting on sofa arms & taking swipes & at our very shy female cat who was born here with her brother but wont come in the house & is bullied by her brother & he's taken to joining in but whacking the others about   >:(

Mammyshaz I haven't tries feliway yet & may well do but before they were all fine so no need, but I hear loads of good reccomendations daily so might invest in one. I'll try the water pistol 1st & we'll see but he's fine with my Basset hound sleeping in his bed, sharing his food which seb never does for any other animals & their constantly play fighting. He does sleep with the other cats & eat with them & does try & be a little domeneering so I might seperate him for a while to - good or bad idea? x

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2012, 08:15:54 pm »
Separating him completely may cause further conflict when he is reunited. What about a time out room where he is put on his own for 5 or 10 minutes each time he torments the others ( a boring uncomfortable place like a porch area ).

His behaviour is typical of a kitten of this age  :-\ and he should grow out of it. The feliway will help relax the tension the other cats may be feeling so well worth investing in.

if it's any reassurance, our 6 month old is doing exactly the same with our two dogs. He jumps full height to land on to of the terrier when she walk in the room, then proceeds to 'kill' her with a full neck hug and bites the back of her back while clinging to her back  :o
If she is not available for tormenting then he jumps on the GSD's head and kills him untill he tries to escape.
Then clings onto a leg, full body hug, while 'killing' it  :innocent: as poor Obi tries in vane to kick him off.

We do tell him off if he continually teases the dogs ( and I scruff him if he persists or gets rough and hurts them )
There's never a dull moment with a kitten, is there   :roflanim:

Shropshirelass

• Joined Jul 2012
  • South Shropshire
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012, 11:13:13 pm »
No definatley no rest with puppies or kittens around - it keeps reminding me why in my day job I'm not tempted to take in endless strays as their such hard work when their kittens or pups, it is reassuring & my friend has 1 who's worse - I'm just worried its made the other cat go off & is stressing my others out despite them being used to him as him & my other cat who sleeps in my room from time to time seemed very quiet & down in the dumps this morning - which is completely unlike him. But Norman (Said kitten) loves seb my dog& vice versa they just sleep & play fight all day wheras he loves tormenting the collie oscar, hopefully he'll calm down soon x

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 12:32:07 am »
Hopefully with time (and feliway) they will settle. Make sure there's plenty of bowls down for food (so not so much competition) even if it's the same amount of food, and if they use litter trays make sure there is enough.

When I took in my kittens our resident cat took herself off to the bottom of the garden (once she realised they were in the house, which was a week after we got them - she isn't all that smart). I ended up locking her in the house until they all settled in together. But she was being submissive to them rather than dominating.

Hope it all works out.

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2012, 09:46:37 pm »
If its any consolation, Henry, 6 months old and just neutered, is exactly the same. Before he had the chop he was awful with Tabitha who is our old lady at 16. She's a bit arthritic too, so cant fight back as well as a younger cat like Freddie who is 8. Actually, its 2 weeks now since Henry had the chop and I do think he has calmed down a little bit, plus OH shouts at him as soon as he starts on Tabbycat and whereas before he would just carry on, now he stops and walks away. So all in all, I do think your little boy will grow out of it too.
At night, I do shut Henry away from the others, or he will come upstairs and attack Tabby and chase her all over the house. He's quite happy to go in his bedroom at night though, as soon as I call him for bed, he sits and waits outside the door. AAaahh bless him!!

Shropshirelass

• Joined Jul 2012
  • South Shropshire
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2012, 12:00:13 am »
Well good news the other cat toffees back  ;D ;D ;D I think he just needed a few days space, but Normans still being a right little so & so  >:( but I think your right mary neutering does take a while to take effect x

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS