Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Drenching Guns  (Read 4904 times)

Fronhaul

• Joined Jun 2011
    • Fronhaul Farm
Drenching Guns
« on: November 25, 2012, 01:16:58 pm »
Any recommendations please for one that actually works for more than five minutes at a time?

Especially if it is capable of delivering doses in the 2-6 ml area. 

Not that I have just washed a small fortune in wormer from my boots  :'(

Pasture Farm

• Joined Aug 2011
  • East Lincolnshire
  • Trusty Traca
    • Pasture Poultry
    • Facebook
Re: Drenching Guns
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 02:25:14 pm »
 :roflanim:   Im not laughing at you......  Its just that the other day i was worming the Tups with the bottle supported above me on a rope upside down ofcourse atached to the gun tube and Yep i pulled the tube off as i was bending to wrestle the tup and wormer all down the back of my neck  :furious:

This is the one I use I paid around £45 for mine about 6 yrs ago
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Henke-23ml-Drench-Gun-/370197477936?pt=UK_BOI_FarmingEquipment_RL&hash=item56317d3a30

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 04:42:02 pm »
I have one of the metal 'clik' ones and I cannot abide it, never seems to draw the proper dose, always something wrong with it. I bought a cheaper mole valley one recently and it seems  great, plus the nozzle is smaller so you can drench lambs  more easily.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 04:56:25 pm »
The phillips 20ml one is brilliant. Metal. Expensive, but will last for years and years. I found that MVF did the best price on it...about £56.

mart2671

• Joined Sep 2012
  • South Devon
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 11:00:45 pm »
Never brought one ive always emailed or phoned the company who manufacture the wormer iam using at the time and ask for a free one . Most of the big drugs companys that produce these wormers have worming guns made , they use to give them away all the time but these days you have to ask to get one . Try it ive always found it works well .

Richard Underwood

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Cathilas Farm Soay - Hogget & Prime Mutton
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 08:50:13 pm »
For anyone with a very small flock, or if you just sometimes need to dose just one or two animals, I can recommend a single dose dosing syringe available via ebay (just search for "10ml Dosing Syringe" - but they have them in several sizes). Much better than trying to use a normal syringe and saves having to take apart and clean your dosing gun. They may be sold in some farm stores but they are not in my local store.

Fronhaul

• Joined Jun 2011
    • Fronhaul Farm
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2012, 08:14:45 am »
Think I have a shortlist of the Philips and the Novartis offerings now.  Waiting to hear how much Novartis want for theirs before making a decision.  There must be money to be made in this area by someone with an engineering bent producing something more reliable and easy to use!

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2012, 05:06:19 pm »
For what its worth: Its the metal ones that I think are rubbish, the plastic ones seem much better.

Blackbird

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2012, 10:50:42 am »
I only have 5 sheep so I use one like a syringe with a metal nozzle on and refill from the bottle for each sheep.

Numpty question here - I thought there was no need to worm in winter? I wormed mine about 6 weeks ago and thought that would be it till the Spring. I'm going to do another FEC sample though as I'm tearing my hair out with Mucky Bum. He is a 7 month old GFD wether and he has been runny since I got him in July. He's been vaccinated, up to date with flukicide and dosed for cocci. I don't understand it! He is in splendid condition (all 4 lambs slightly tubby tbh), growing well (nearly as big as his mum) and seems perfectly happy - eating well, no sign of bottle jaw, but he hasn't done a solid poo since I got him (other 4 are doing proper logs and marbles). Can't think what else it can be - do you just get the occasional runny sheep? It's OK in winter, but he did get a touch of flystrike in Summer despite daily checks, dagging and bum washing. Ho hum. Poo sample to vet tomorrow...
Where are we going - and why am I in this handcart?

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2012, 02:08:25 pm »
Plenty of worms still about - it has been warm and wet up until now really. I would expect the coming week of weather to start killing them off - although the ground is still damp. I'm still having FECs done.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS