Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Gained a sheep  (Read 4544 times)

Tiva Diva

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Scottish Borders
    • Thornielee Cottage
Gained a sheep
« on: November 24, 2012, 06:11:36 pm »
Went out to check my Portlands yesterday. Should be 19 of them in their field - counted and got 20. Re-counted: still 20. On closer inspection a young black-faced ewe was hiding - sheepishly of course - amongst them. "I'm a Portland, really!" she insisted.
So we caught her up (with some difficulty as she was quite wild) and it turned out she had swum across the river. This is the Tweed, which has been in full spate lately! I can only guess that she either fell in and managed to scramble out on our bank, or it was the power of LURVE  :love:  'cos she wanted in with our Portland tup! Respect! I would hesitate to get in the river at the moment no matter who was on the other bank!
Anyway, we got her back to her owner, who had missed her and thought she'd been killed.
Don't you love a happy ending!  ;D

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
Re: Gained a sheep
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 06:13:46 pm »
She's very LUCKY in lurve crossing any river at the moment. Glad she's back home safe and sound.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2012, 06:14:43 pm »
She was lucky, coming across a river in spate! Glad her owner was pleased to have her back  :)

HappyHippy

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2012, 06:33:29 pm »
That's some determination  :o

Glad you got her home safe and sound  :thumbsup:

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2012, 07:00:29 pm »
There might, of course, be a paternity suit in the waiting...  ;D

Canadian Sheepfarmer

• Joined Nov 2009
  • Manitoba, Canada.
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2012, 07:02:53 pm »
Good stuff!

Still, something to be aware of. I hope she did not bring anything into your flock?
 It's tempting to allow strays to remain with your sheep. If no one misses them then you have won one; makes a change from losing one,  ;)  but it really isn't worth it.

Keeping a closed flock should be your gameplan. It is the only way to stay ahead and stay profitable with so many diseases and bugs out there.

If it happens again get the stray out straight away and isolate it, charge the owner when they collect it for feed and hassle, that would be my advice.
People whos sheep graze 'long acre',  :)  by definition aren't always the best at maintaining flock health.  ;)

Tiva Diva

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Scottish Borders
    • Thornielee Cottage
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2012, 07:21:49 pm »
Fair points, Canadiansheepfarmer, though in this case I know the owner and he maintains good husbandry standards. I don't see that he could have expected her to cross the river: even when it's not as full as it is now, it's generally an effective barrier for sheep. And I wouldn't charge him for bringing her back - it was only a few miles (to get to nearest bridge) and I'd sooner have goodwill than cash in this case.
Mind you, I'll be interested to see what she produces come lambing!

ZacB

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Suffolk
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2012, 08:43:19 am »
I hope you recorded the details in your flock movement records ;D

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2012, 08:50:31 am »

;D   that's made me think! one of next doors sheep got in with ours - I just opened the gate and let her back out....!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2012, 12:28:21 pm »

;D   that's made me think! one of next doors sheep got in with ours - I just opened the gate and let her back out....!
I am sure sheepy will not tell on you...

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2012, 02:46:04 pm »

I am sure sheepy will not tell on you...

... and we won't either!  :innocent:

Auld Cairnallochy

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2012, 03:20:35 pm »
Thank your lucky stars it wasn't a tup, it would have had them all in half an hour.

Lostlambs

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Canada
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2012, 12:39:45 pm »
I hadn't realized sheep could swim that well until this past summer when a lamb got on the other side of a deep dugout in our pasture separated from mom. I heard the bleating and went to see, here the lamb ran down the bank and leaped right in.I had visions of having jump in to save the lamb from drowning(not a great idea since I'm not a great swimmer) but he promptly headed across the water swimming like a beaver,clambered up the other side to his mom :relief: I guess because we don't have much open water we never think about our stock being able to swim ::)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS