Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Selling entire males as stores????  (Read 2282 times)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Selling entire males as stores????
« on: November 26, 2012, 09:40:23 am »
I was plannning to bring some of my lambs to the "weigh & pay" sale tomorrow only to be told today that it's not happening... so the guy put me instead into the stores sales... not what I planned, but no other choice. They are not quite at fat-weight. But in all this confusion I forgot to ask if entire male lambs are ok to go for stores? Are they?
Probably a stupid question but I have not sold stores before.... :-[

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
Re: Selling entire males as stores????
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 10:11:34 am »
I am thinking about this too. At the moment we are fattening them all up inside hoping to get them fat enough for slaughter and private sale, those that don't make the grade will have to be shipped off to market through the store market. you CAN sell that way but you will probably make about 25% less than normal. maybe less with the current price trend. I heard feeding ewes sold for £1 a head in a cumbrian market last week
Ian

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 10:24:40 am »
I forgot to mention... if you do send some entires through store put them through the ring in their own batch, similarly if you can, sell any ewe lambs in batches graded by size. ask your mart contact for advice

Ian

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, 10:52:31 am »
Thanks, yes thought the boys need to go through in their own group. Will get out and weight them tomorrow to group...
Can't bring any inside this year as I had to buy all my hay for the goats and sheep in one big swoop, so shed is full unfortunately...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS