Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: supplementary feed for dexters  (Read 2044 times)

c day

• Joined Mar 2010
supplementary feed for dexters
« on: November 22, 2012, 01:58:15 pm »
hello again all,We have a short legged cow and calf out on pasture and they have access to four acres the grass is still pretty lush though i realize that it might not be that nutritious this time of year but the dexters are in great condition, would any Dexter keepers out there recommend supplementary feeding? the cow is due mid January. thanks all conor

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: supplementary feed for dexters
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 02:05:50 pm »
I have Shetlands and they now have access to a Crystalyx Standard, in addition to rock salt and a yellow Rockie. I did the same last winter and they seemed fine. We don't have much grass left and they'll be getting a bit of hay soon. Mine aren't due to calve until June though.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2012, 02:19:50 pm »
Not a Dexter keeper, we have commercial sucklers (Angus & Hereford mainly, and a few Blue Greys) and house Jerseys.

Is this her first calf?  Is it a Dexter bull?  Is she sharing the 4 acres with anything else?

As Rosemary says, any pregnant or lactating cattle should have access to the green Crystalyx and to rock salt.

I am not familiar with your area and its climate - hereabouts, all cattle except the hardiest are needing extra forage by now.  We're about to move our Blue Greys to better ground, or we would have to start haying even them.

If she's calving in January she should be starting to bag up about now.  I'd keep an eye on her pin bones - if she's a layer of fat on them she's not wanting much, but if it's her first calf I'd maybe be giving her just a little cake (a pound or two, no more) to make sure there'll be enough milk for the young 'un.  And, me being me, I'd have plenty of nice hay on hand to feed her ad lib once the calf is born. 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

c day

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2012, 04:44:59 pm »
yes its a castrated bull calf , i should of said that she will be coming in to the stable to calf as we live on the west coast of ireland and the weather can be quiet wild at times, and we will separate her from bull calf, she is a six year old cow ,i don't know how many calf's she has had as this will be her second calf with us. ill get her a lick tomorrow. thanks all

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS