Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: tagging  (Read 2785 times)

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
tagging
« on: December 02, 2012, 06:48:14 pm »
Here we go, I would like to upgrade my older sheep to EID  but I want to keep the original old tag numbers etc as this relates to there pedigree papers some were not born on my holding, Can this be done There are only 16 or 17 and the main reason for wanting to change is there are a few old tags lost and continuity of tags used
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
Re: tagging
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 07:31:56 pm »
Here is my answer, generally there are several ;D

IF you know the original numbers, then YES you can order and insert new tags and YES you can go from single tag to EID double tag sets.
Defra are never going to mind extra ID it is the too little ID they have a problem with.
IF you DON'T know the original numbers then you replace with RED tags and can again double tag but this wouldn't apply to your case as you know the numbers :thumbsup:
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 08:08:38 pm »
If you mean 'old' as in pre-EID, then no you can't.  Numbers started at 00001 again with EID - at least, they did in England.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 09:47:14 pm »
Oooh I never knew that! I thought you would just be able to call your tag people and order any number to be printed on them :D
Every day is a school day eh? ;D
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 12:52:39 am »
yeah - youd have to write the tags you replaced in your holding register anyway so youd have a record, unless they were lost.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 05:10:55 am »
Oooh I never knew that! I thought you would just be able to call your tag people and order any number to be printed on them :D

Pre-EID, you could order any numbers provided they were higher than any you'd have before.  Now I am not sure if you can even do that, or whether they all have to be sequential. 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 02:42:17 pm »
I think you can order any number on them as long as it's one you have used in the past (and that would be recorded at defra by a previous sale of tags to you).  I might be wrong though. :)

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 04:54:42 pm »
Clear as mud kind of, I will have to upgrade the pedigrees as well as change tags and record in book a well who said it would be easy and inexpensive cheers everyone for your replies.
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2012, 07:08:12 pm »
Thats what I'd do - whip the old tags off, make a note of the number, replace with two red tags. Easy.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS