Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Expensive Mistake  (Read 3373 times)

FrostyM

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Wicklow, Ireland
    • My Overcrowded Garden
    • Facebook
Expensive Mistake
« on: November 21, 2012, 12:12:48 pm »
I am feeling a combination of angry and stupid (mainly stupid) so i need a little rant.

I got pigs for the first time in June having no experience with livestock. Got on fine for the most part no major problems. They are booked in to the abattoir for Monday. After I finally sorted it and transport I just had the tags left to sort.

About an hour ago I rang the local Co-op and they said they don't do them anymore and to try another Co-op which happened to be and hour and a half from me, which wouldn't be ideal but i would have to manage. I rang them hoping they could pop some in the post tonight so I would have it by Friday. I was sorely disappointed, turns out they only print pig tags once a week (Possibly the norm?) I naively thought they would be printed as ordered, but i really should have rang a few weeks ago but have been busy and putting it off.

Anyway the only option i could see was to order a slap marker and all the bits which they said they could stick in the post today. All in all something that should have cost me a few euro has just cost me 140 euro. I am so angry at myself for putting this off til now. Have to just put it down to experience and won't leave things like this til the last minute again  :-\
** rant over **

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
Re: Expensive Mistake
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 12:31:29 pm »
Oh dear, like you say its made you learn to plan ahead, nothing should be left to chance when dealing with livestock and the bureaucracy that goes with it wherever you are in the world.
Hope you get some lovely pork back to make up for the last minute trauma.
And next year as brucie says keep dancing well planning really but you know what i mean!
mandy :pig:

FrostyM

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Wicklow, Ireland
    • My Overcrowded Garden
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 12:41:32 pm »
Thanks Mandy, as you say hopefully once i get the meat back I will have forgotten all about the money. And I suppose having spent the money on a slap marker I will have to get a few more pigs next year just to make my money back  ;)

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2012, 12:43:52 pm »
Thanks Mandy, as you say hopefully once i get the meat back I will have forgotten all about the money. And I suppose having spent the money on a slap marker I will have to get a few more pigs next year just to make my money back  ;)
sounds like a good plan to me :thumbsup:
mandy :pig:

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 02:28:03 pm »
Every cloud and all that, you only have to buy a slap marker once ;)
In the long run it could work out cheaper than tagging if you do lots of pigs over time :thumbsup:
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2012, 09:44:09 pm »
Oh my god, if you posted a thread on expensive mistakes.... I would be top of the list.... we've all done it.... and will probalby still do it... :bouquet:

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2012, 10:01:25 pm »
Oh dear, you should have contacted Shearwell as they sent tags out within a day or so.  You could have always delayed slaughter a week.  It's all sent to try us!

ppd

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Sutherland
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2012, 10:01:47 pm »
I'm with colliewoman, think of it as a long term investment and not a 'mistake' ;D

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2012, 11:07:24 pm »
As you say, you learn from your mistakes. But other readers also learn by your mistakes. I will now remember once I am in a position to send stock to have already ordered tags  ;)

And as has already been said, it's an excuse to get more stock for the next few years and gain on a good investment  :sunshine:

FrostyM

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Wicklow, Ireland
    • My Overcrowded Garden
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2012, 06:52:44 pm »
Thanks for all the messages. I am coming around to seeing it as a long term investment and an excuse to get some more pigs  ;D Hopefully I got my mistake out of the way early and now the loading, travelling and everything at abattoir will be plain sailing  :)

Bumblebear

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Norfolk
    • http://southwellski.blogspot.co.uk/
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2012, 06:30:06 pm »
I order my slap marker at the beginning of the week and got a call today saying it was due Monday  :o. After I had said that the pigs go off on Monday!!!   Apparently it is being sent by special delivery so should be here tomorrow.......

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS