Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Advice on meat boxes  (Read 5066 times)

vkmcc

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Renfrewshire
Advice on meat boxes
« on: November 13, 2012, 09:05:12 pm »
Hi
I have my first lot of Jacob lambs this year, sadly it has got to that time of year for them to go. Im trying to figure out about selling the meat  as everyone keeps telling me that Jacob lambs wont get much at market so i am reluctant to send them.
This is now where i am compeltely lost on what to do, I have found pages where people are selling boxed lamb was wondering how you go about organising this and if there are any regulations about selling the meat??
Any advice would be greatly appreciated  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
Re: Advice on meat boxes
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 10:26:24 pm »
I sell to friends and clients either half a lamb or whole lamb in a box.  Sold this year at £5/kg but in the past have sold £100 whole or £60 half, just depends on weight what I feel is fair.  I do this word of mouth and once they have tasted the difference I have no trouble selling each year! 

Good luck. Not sure on legalities but am sure if all slaughtered and butchered at abbattoir you shouldn't go too far wrong.  I am sure someone will come up with some legislation to say otherwise.

Richard Underwood

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Cathilas Farm Soay - Hogget & Prime Mutton
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 10:39:19 am »
We also sell meat boxes (Soay). There is no legal problem provided they are slaughtered and butchered on approved premises. After that it is just a matter of making sure they are stored/transported hygienically and kept at a reasonable temperature. Living in a sheep area we don't have too many local customers so we mainly sell mail order using a 24 hr courier service for delivery & packing the meat in polystyrene boxes with chiller packs (google JB Packaging for details).

As ScotsGirl says, once people have tasted the difference you get lots of repeat orders.

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 11:15:55 am »
If you have Jacobs......do not forget your skin if cured by a tannery could be worth £80 plus....esp if very spotty!
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 11:35:22 am »
Will be in a similar position next year, with a small number of Soay to sell.

They will be slaughtered/butchered on registered premises. Do you need any insurance? Do people have to collect from you as soon as the meat is back ...... otherwise wouldn't you need freezer facilities etc. checked.  ???

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2012, 12:26:50 pm »
Will be in a similar position next year, with a small number of Soay to sell.

They will be slaughtered/butchered on registered premises. Do you need any insurance? Do people have to collect from you as soon as the meat is back ...... otherwise wouldn't you need freezer facilities etc. checked.  ???
http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/forum/index.php?topic=28969.0
this is in the pig section but applies to all meats.
hth
mandy :pig:

Haylo-peapod

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 04:14:27 pm »
Does everyone here sell as soon as they collect from the abattoir or do any of you have to freeze the meat and sell/post it later?

If any of you do the latter, do the insulated boxes keep meat frozen if shipped via overnight courier? I'm a bit nervous in case the meat defrosts and then can't be refrozen. I'd hate to give family/friends a dicky tummy.  :unwell:

Richard Underwood

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Cathilas Farm Soay - Hogget & Prime Mutton
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 11:16:22 pm »
I ship fresh on the day I pick it up from the abattoir because I once had a bit of a bad experience when I bought some frozen meat mail order. The box I bought was shipped in a hot spell in the summer and had defrosted by the time it arrived. It was still chilled so I cooked and froze it rather than bining it but it was not ideal. That said a replacement box sent at a cooler time of year was fine.

Obviously you can also pay extra to ship for a morning delivery, I have bought fresh fish which is a lot more delicate than lamb and is delivered on a 'by 9am' ticket.

When using a polystyrene box the key is to chill the meat well before it goes in and to use lots of chiller strips. 

vkmcc

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Renfrewshire
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2012, 08:49:49 pm »
Thanks everyone for information very helpfull  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS