Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: It feels wrong  (Read 6853 times)

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
Re: It feels wrong
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2012, 11:44:45 am »
I cuddle up with my Kindle every night. Its heaven. Even better, when I finish one book, I just order another without having to leave my bed, then start reading again!

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2012, 11:50:12 am »
I too have a kindle. I don't use it that much but find it great for travelling. I wouldn't want to use it for cookery/craft or reference books though.  I like to page through those so that the pictures tempt me.
At least I then know what I am making should look like, even if it doesn't resemble it  ;D
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2012, 02:05:56 pm »
It's like letters to Santa Bionic, you burn your letter in the woodburning stove and the words fly up in the smoke to Santa (or perhaps other recipients out there somewhere) so don't feel so bad.

My mum said that when she died she'd like to go to a library room in heaven and just read into eternity and beyond.  Hope she did  :wave: if you're out there mum!  Hope you're enjoying your book!
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2012, 06:29:00 pm »
I grew up in a bookshop - I hate having to get rid of any... But I have quite a few books that are simply worthless, even charity shops won't take ancient, grotty, German books with pages missing! :D So I did stick a few in the recycling bin.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2012, 07:22:51 am »
We've just moved into our newly built ouse and the first thing that went in were the bookcases. OH put all the books higgledy piggledy - in no particular order and I have spent a few leisurely moments trying to sort them into themes which has been so lovely. Pulling out a book brings back memories of when I bought it and why. I find that alot of my non-fiction books reflect where I wanted to get to when I bought them so it's interesting to see what I achieved and what I left behind reflected in the books.

A library of memories.

And the smell....... I always sniff my books.

But for day to day  I have my Kindle app in iPad now....

I never realised my husband had so many books on trains!! ::)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 06:52:58 am by suziequeue »
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2012, 10:49:37 am »
Don't have a kindle or ipad, enjoy smelling books though and feeling the thinness of the pages.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

deepinthewoods

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2012, 02:28:43 pm »
you dont 'invest' in a kindle, its nearly worthless as soon as youve used it. however a good 1st ed can appreciate noticably, as i found when i checked out my signed 1st ed 'station island' by seamus heaney that i bought in passing in dublin in 1994, my £5 then, now has a few 00 behind it!!

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2012, 06:18:00 pm »
I have a mountain of books I need to do something with since I stopped work. They have been sitting in my hallway in precarious towers for the last 1.5 years as I find it so hard to chuck them. I think I may take the covers off and then turn them into raised beds in the garden. I just need to get OH to pee on them regularly  ;D
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2012, 09:21:37 pm »
I've tried a Kindle.  It just isn't the same as reading a book.  I love my books and find it difficult to part with any.  Going to have to though as the bookshelves are all full and I have books in piles, waiting for a space.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS