Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Planting out today  (Read 3742 times)

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
Planting out today
« on: June 03, 2009, 10:09:36 am »
well, the time has come

I have 3 sweetcorn plants that i started off indoors a while back, they are in 7 litre pots just now and are probably just about 2' high, so i'm putting them into a bed tonight. They've been out of the greenhouse for about 10 days, so they should be fine now. I've taken my other 8 smaller sweetcorn plants out of the greenhouse, these are about 5-6 weeks behind the big 3, and i'll keep an eye on them this week, but they'll go into the beds next week if they don't suffer from the cold.

I assume I'll need to put a good cane in beside them - what height can i expect them to get to? 6'?? more?

Goji Berry plants

I bought 3 1 year old UK raised Gojis a few months back, they arrived pretty small and i've kept them in the greenhouse, they have come on great, up to 3' high now. Looking in rude health! I'm putting them into the raised beds as well. I was tempted to keep one in a greenhouse so that it was always a bit earlier than the others, but i think it would end up filling a greenhouse, so they are all going out. i'll put one in an are that doesn't get the sun until the afternoon and th eother too can go in a nice spot to get sun all morning and afternoon, hopefully that'll help spread the fruiting season a little. But i'm not confident!! LOL

Courgettes, i've 6 nice looking courgettes on the go, one is flowering nicely, but it's in 2 small a pot - and i have to transplant it. i'm just wondering if I should risk putting it outside. It's had  a good start and now we are into june, so hopefully no more very cold snaps. hmmmm decisions decsions. As i don't have a big pot spare, i might put one out and the rest can live in peace in the greenhouse.

peas and french beans, these have been doing fantastic in the greenhouse - so, they are all going out tonight.

The greenhouse will look empty without them - luckily i've plenty of chilli, pepper and toms that are still indoors to move out. Mrs SB will get her spare bedroom back for the summer at least and the house won't always have mud getting dragged through it

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
Re: Planting out today
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 05:26:34 pm »
Oh my word!  My sweetcorn went into the ground last week at about 5inches high!  I am jealous.  (Is it possible to be jealous of someone elses size sweetcorn?  :-\)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 06:04:06 pm »
It is most definitely possible  :'(  My seeds are only just in as I wasn't intending having any but my neighbour gave me what she ahd left in the packet.  So the conservatory is full of the little dears.  If they don't grow on I'll be jealous of you both ;)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 08:00:46 pm »
and were you aware its gonna be frosty in scotland tomorrow night?
Ian

JD

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Glasgow
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2009, 08:34:51 pm »
I think planting out veg seedlings is one of my favourite gardening tasks. Just planted out my sweetcorn yesterday, I would expect them to grow to about 6' so tall canes required. This is my first year with a greenhouse after years of seed trays on window ledges.  Just tomatoes and chillies in the greenhouse now.
JD 

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2009, 08:41:34 pm »
had a slight change of plans tonight, so didn't get my seedlings planted out

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2009, 09:07:24 pm »
Hiya all, I got some sweetcorn just waitting for hubby to get some soil to add to the new border hubby created.

Linz

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2009, 06:31:03 pm »
everything is now out in their new raised beds - and looking lovely they are too.

Poor Mrs SB is having a wee nap - she's had an emotional week.

tomorrow - re-sow the carrots, parsnips and beetroots (and dig out all those rogue tatties!)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS