Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: update on the "micro pigs"  (Read 3984 times)

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
update on the "micro pigs"
« on: November 19, 2012, 11:35:29 am »
You recall these are the "teacup" :pig: bought and raised in a school in surrey and then offered for free on here when it all got two much.    You may also recall, they aren't very "micro".... I can't get photos small enough for this site despite my best efforts.

Well, boy micro was 114 kilos live weight...... and, get this 5 INCHES OF FAT!!  :o The butcher has taken photos because he has not, in 20 years, seen as fat a pig and also said it was a definitely welfare issue as "that would be one miserable pig".

Until he's cut off the fat, I don't know how many sausages I'll get, but I'll get enough to have made it worthwhile getting them.....

I regret getting them though,   becasue from the moment they came onto my land to the moment they left they were miserable..... and the reason I do this is for happy animals  >:(

Bumblebear

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Norfolk
    • http://southwellski.blogspot.co.uk/
Re: update on the "micro pigs"
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 11:42:54 am »
Well I have immense respect for you KC because you did it for the right reasons and put them out of their misery too.  Have you considered talking to the school?  They really need to know and use it as a learning curve - especially if they are considering doing it again after all their "building work".   :hug:

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 11:57:59 am »
Was just about to type when BB replied, well done you, at least you can say you did your best for them and brought about an end to their miserable existence and they are happy in piggy heaven (well thats what i like to think anyway!)
Mandy :pig:

Mrs Snoodles

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 12:03:10 pm »
 :hug: you did your best and with their welfare in mind.   You ought to talk to the school though, they need to know in case they do the same again.

HappyHippy

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 12:51:21 pm »
I echo the respect KC  :notworthy:

You've ensured these poor pigs didn't suffer any more than they had already, I know it's hard, but you did the right thing I think.
I'd definately talk to the school (or at least the person who arranged the move) and mention the fat/welfare issue as Mrs S says, they might do it again........

Soap making is a good way to use up extra fat  ;)
Karen x

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 01:05:11 pm »
Respect  :bouquet:

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 01:14:09 pm »
That's interesting. I didn't realise that you could use pig fat for soap. Thought it had to be beef fat. Do you use wood lye to mix with it, or a commercial preparation?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 01:37:57 pm »
Well done, KC.  I echo what everyone else has said; it was very good of you to take them in, you did the best for them that was possible, you made the right decision to end their miserable existences, and you must talk to the responsible adults at the school to impress upon them how utterly miserable these pigs had become.

:-*
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2012, 03:07:22 pm »
That's interesting. I didn't realise that you could use pig fat for soap. Thought it had to be beef fat. Do you use wood lye to mix with it, or a commercial preparation?

Don't know how she does it, but I've had pig fat soap from HH and it's lovely. :)

HappyHippy

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2012, 05:05:26 pm »
It's a commercial preparation  ;) Caustic soda  :o
Wood lye used to be used, but there's no way to know how strong it is and doesn't give terribly consistant results (it'd be okay to use for laundry soap - but nowhere near your skin IMHO)
It's really pretty simple, as long as you can follow a receipe  :thumbsup:

I'll start a seperate thread with instructions for you - don't want to take over this one  ;)

Thanks Rosemary  :-*

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2012, 05:48:20 pm »
The headmistress was LOVELY but I couldn't believe how little research or anything she had done.  She had learnt NOTHING about husbandry before she got these pigs and boy.... did it show.  Sadly, the children now think that a pig should look like a moneybox!

I've put off emailling her, but I think I will with my views, those of my vets (who saw these piggies) and the butchers.... she says she wants to get more pigs (but I think she was buttering me up and was glad to see the back of these) and if she does she DEFINITELY has to learn about how to rear these.

They most definitely weren't handled in the way she suggests, they were massively overfed to the point of blindness (fat folds over their eyes) but I've never had a miserable animal here before.
 >:(

It'll take me some time to compose the email

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS