Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Shetland sheep in north of Scotland  (Read 4473 times)

Devineflock

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Scottish Highlands
  • Chipping Away
Shetland sheep in north of Scotland
« on: November 18, 2012, 08:31:14 pm »
Hello, I am wondering if anybody on here could possibly help me. Does anyone know of anybody in the north of Scotland who may have some Shetland sheep for sale? I am 20 miles north of Inverness but travelling isn't really a problem. All help is much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
 :fc:

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Shetland sheep in north of Scotland
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 06:24:04 am »
If you contact the Shetland Sheep Society, they will be able to put you in contact with any breeders nearby. Check their website first.

dt400

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 06:59:20 am »
Hi
There are some Shetlands for sale on the http://forum.caithness.org/ under the crofting section.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 07:50:21 am »
There is also a rare breeds sale twice a year at Thainstone centre in Inverurie. Unfortunately the next one is spring but it is worth looking out for.
The top two of the right hand side links are useful, one has the sales diary (still on H2 2012 but will be updated with H1 2013) and the other has links to the details and catalogue for sales coming up in the next week or two
http://www.anmgroup.co.uk/marts/livestock-auctions.php
The lady who owns the ram we are loaning has beautiful Shetlands, but  she has a small flock and so would only have an occasional one to sell. How many and what are you looking for (ram, ewes, lambs?)

Devineflock

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Scottish Highlands
  • Chipping Away
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 08:33:41 am »
Thanks, yes they hold a similar sale at Dingwall mart next to where I stay but it also is only a few times a year. I am looking for between 5 to 10 lambs.
Thanks for all the good help so far. :fc:

Devineflock

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Scottish Highlands
  • Chipping Away
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 08:42:32 am »
Sorry I forgot to say in the last post that although I am looking for between 5 and 10 lambs I am more than willing to get one or two at a time and build up and I would also take ewes.

Thank you

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 11:03:42 am »
If you are still looking when Ram goes home I will mention to his owner to see if she has anything suitable. Most of hers are moorit and katmoget and she shows them etc, they are all registered.

Devineflock

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Scottish Highlands
  • Chipping Away
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2012, 06:50:40 pm »
Yes that would be great. Where about in Scotland are they?
Thanks

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2012, 09:22:20 pm »
She is in Aberdeenshire, (Banchory/Aboyne ish area).

humphreymctush

• Joined Jul 2010
  • orkney
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2012, 05:02:27 pm »
I am in Orkney. I have 2 rams that I want to sell. one is a Katmoget and one is a moorit. I do have a few ewe lambs but they are related to the rams and I had planned on keeping most of them.

Dougal

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Port O' Menteith, Stirlingshire
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2012, 10:56:41 pm »
Thainstone on Friday. Still a lot of shetland ewes coming off the boat that are fit for breeding, there were gimmers at last fridays sales. Failing that wait until the spring and there will be good numbers coming out with lamb at foot. They are really common at the weekly ewe sale on Fridays at Thainstone. Most are direct from the islands so they tend to go onto the farms on teh mainland and really thrive.
It's always worse for someone else, so get your moaning done before they start using up all the available symathy!

Devineflock

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Scottish Highlands
  • Chipping Away
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2012, 09:43:24 pm »
Thanks for that good information Dougal. Sadly I wont be able to make it this week due to work commitments, but waiting until spring to get some ewes with lambs at foot is probably a good idea. Do you have any idea what price the shetland ewes with lambs at foot were fetching this year? Or what is the going rate for a good condition shetland ewe at the moment?

Thanks

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS