Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dogs & haggis  (Read 18115 times)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Dogs & haggis
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2012, 06:55:30 pm »
Is the plural of haggis, haggises or haggi?

In Scots grammar measured amounts of something don't usually change the noun ending so it would just be 'haggis'.
eg. "Ah ken there's a twa three haggis bidin on the brae ahint ma hoose"

other examples of this grammar would be;
"they cost ten pun a heid"
"the dug jaloused far aboots a hid hid the key fir wir freezer and ait twa haggis, sax hen an a puckle sausage.  Ah wis sair pitten aboot and leathered the dug twa mile doon the glen" **

** please note this is a fictional story made up to demonstrate that 'mile' (sco) does not have an s even though there are 2 miles (eng).  I don't even have a dog.
Pure dead brilliant, by the way!  :excited:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2012, 07:00:46 pm »
Ah ken there's a twa three haggis bidin on the brae ahint ma hoose" = I know there are two or three haggi on the small hill behind my home

"they cost ten pun a heid" = The price was £10 each

"the dug jaloused far aboots a hid hid the key fir wir freezer and ait twa haggis, sax hen an a puckle sausage.  Ah wis sair pitten aboot and leathered the dug twa mile doon the glen" **

= the dog worked out where I had hidden the key fro the freezer and ate two haggi, six hens, and a few sausages. I was really angry and smacked him hard for two miles right along the road.

Love it, glad I can still understand my native tongue.  :roflanim:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2012, 07:09:24 pm »
Ah ken there's a twa three haggis bidin on the brae ahint ma hoose" = I know there are two or three haggi on the small hill behind my home

"they cost ten pun a heid" = The price was £10 each

= the dog worked out where I had hidden the key fro the freezer and ate two haggi, six hens, and a few sausages. I was really angry and smacked him hard for two miles right along the road.

Love it, glad I can still understand my native tongue.  :roflanim:

Another Feegle!!!!

Doganjo, Oor Wullie, you MUST read the Tiffany Aching series by Terry Pratchett!
The Nac Mac Feegle (tiny blue pictsies) speak EXACTLY like that! It took me AGES to work out what they were saying when I read the 1st one :-[  (actually one of the characters is called Daft Wullie...)
Wee Free Men is the 1st one followed by, A Hat Full of Sky, Wintersmith and I Shall Wear Midnight.

My copies ALL have tear stains in them where I have cried laughing!
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2012, 07:54:31 pm »
I've read one of them, can't remember which one, must look for the others - once my kindle remembers how to wifi with my router again!  Stupid thing! :rant:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS