Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Underplanting roses - what to plant?  (Read 6990 times)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Underplanting roses - what to plant?
« on: November 17, 2012, 04:12:12 pm »
We've just had some landscaping done at the front of the house forming two nice beds.

I'm going to put in four climbing roses, two in each bed, plus some English roses along with a lavender hedge round the edges.

Anyone any suggestions as to what I might underplant the roses with. I thought perovskia but I'm not sure. I don't want anything too hard to look after. Bee / insect friendly would be a real bonus.

deepinthewoods

Re: Underplanting roses - what to plant?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 05:09:47 pm »
there is a companion planting relationship between roses and garlic, the garlic keeps blackfly (i believe) away from the roses and theyre nutritional needs are different so can coexist.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 05:33:04 pm »
there is a companion planting relationship between roses and garlic, the garlic keeps blackfly (i believe) away from the roses and theyre nutritional needs are different so can coexist.

Thanks, DITW. I will plant some garlic but I was thinking "something decorative"  :)

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 05:36:21 pm »
The hardy geraniums would be good (the cranesbill family not pelargoniums). Come in pinks and blues, and make good ground cover that doesn't need weeding once it's established.

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 06:31:45 pm »
We have lots of roses BUT, although they are very beautiful, we made the mistake of planting tall stuff between them that dies down and looks a mess and I get ripped up trying to clear it all up.....I love the idea of Lavender with Roses but we never seem to be able to get the look we want!!!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2012, 07:35:59 pm »
The hardy geraniums would be good (the cranesbill family not pelargoniums). Come in pinks and blues, and make good ground cover that doesn't need weeding once it's established.

That's a good idea. I like hardy geraniums - they are my type of plant  :thumbsup:

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 12:25:40 pm »
marigolds are a good greenfly deterrent i always put a few pots in with the tomatoes and when we had rose beds used to put one or two in with them during the summer, it really works. Colours can be a bit clashing though.
mandy :pig:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 01:10:00 pm »
Colours can be a bit clashing though.

I know  :( I've just ordered 96 lavender plug plants and 24 hardy geraniums. Just got to order roses and Virginia creeper now.

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2012, 01:28:01 pm »
I was planning to do it the other way round - use roses (a very low one) to underplant a plum tree!  :D

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2012, 03:41:57 pm »
I love any plants that have colour all year round or at least a long floweing period, I planted some viginia creeper and some other climbing colourful stuff to climb around an arch, they seem to be growing very slowly but I just love those vibrant reds!!!  I actualy do not mind clashing colours in the garden, to me any colour is good,!!

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2012, 04:31:51 pm »
I got a load of different creeping thymes, pink and white flowers, though they're only tiny at the moment I hope they'll make a good carpet!

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2013, 09:02:28 am »
I have underplanted 2 roses with parsley. It gives great color even in winter but beware when picking the parsley for the kitchen.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS