Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: fox control  (Read 16696 times)


  • Joined Sep 2012
Re: fox control
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2012, 11:39:06 am »
Been reading this with interest and I have to ask.... is there a maximum calibre or anything you are limited to in the U.K.? Also is there a limit on how many rounds your magazine is allowed to hold? Or is it more a case of your weapon has to be suitable for the size of area you will be using it in?

You are limited by land,  rather than calibre.  For example,  you can own a .50BMG cal rifle if you are a member of a club that has access to a range that is cleared for that calibre.  There aren't many ranges that have a big enough safe area and strong enough backstops,  but there are a few military ranges that allow club use.

For shooting on your own land, or land you have permission to shoot over, you need an inspection by the local FEO ( Firearms Enquiry Officer ),  he/she will assess your land and "clear" it for an appropriate calibre.  So for example if you apply for a rifle to control fox on your 20 acre farm the FEO might suggest that a 22 Hornet is adequate because the land isn't huge and you are unlikely to be taking a long shot due to the requirements of having a safe backstop to stop the bullet from leaving your property.  If you applied for the same for your 200 acre holding in the highlands he might well suggest a 22-250 or a 243 because you have mountains as a backstop and the fox might well be 350yds away across a gulley.  Backstops are important,  I had my 17 acre woodland cleared for 22 Hornet even though it was very close ( 100yds ) to the village,  because the backstops were excellent.

After a while,  if you can demonstrate adequate experience,  you can have your firearms certificate "opened",  this changes the wording on your certificate to allow you to make the decision yourself as to whether it is safe to shoot on a piece of land.  This is useful if you intend to shoot fox for your neighbours as it allows you to respond to a call without having to book a visit from the FEO to inspect the land.

There are two numbers regarding ammunition,  a "hold" limit and a "purchase" limit.  The FEO will try to give you the smallest limit he can based on your intended use of the rifle.  So for example,  if you apply for a 22LR for rabbit control he will probably offer you a 600 hold limit and a 500 purchase limit,  this is OK as bulk packs are 500 rounds and you will still have 100 left in case you have a few from the last purchase left.  500 rounds lasts quite a long time for rabbit control,  but if you also intended to use the rifle for target shooting you could easily use 200 rounds a week so your FEO will grant you a 2000 limit ( if you ask nicely ).

Hope that helps.


  • Joined Dec 2012
Re: fox control
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2012, 10:39:46 am »
Thank you for your response, very informative and answered everything i needed :thumbsup:

Lord Summerisle

  • Joined Dec 2009
  • Devon and Wales
Re: fox control
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2013, 06:33:24 pm »
Just to add my two pennyworth, I use .17HMR for rabbits and for urban foxes - usually shooting down from an upper-storey window and using the lawn as a backstop. I've got an 'open' licence so I don't need 'cleared' land but can judge safety for myself.

For rural fox, I use a .222 centrefire with frangible rounds that avoid the risk of ricochet (as does the .17). Good for a chest shot out to about 250yds.
Agricultural Productivity through Superior Firepower


Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS