Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: GrassProtecta (TM) - option to prevent poaching?  (Read 4329 times)

Haylo-peapod

• Joined Mar 2012
GrassProtecta (TM) - option to prevent poaching?
« on: September 19, 2012, 12:38:43 pm »
Has anyone ever come across or used a product called GrassProtecta as a means to prevent poaching? If so, how did you get on?

http://www.boddingtons-ltd.com/products/grass-ground-reinforcement/grass-reinforcement-protection/grassprotecta-grass-reinforcement-protection-mesh.php

I see this product has been marketed for use in paddocks and that a study has been done with sheep and cattle by a company called Cheviot Futures. Looking at other groundcover products they don't seem to have such good slip-resistance and therefore probbaly wouldn't be suitable for livestock.

I'm thinking about trialling a roll of the heavy duty version by our cattle feeder this winter and would be interested to hear what others think about this as a potential solution before I splash out??

robert waddell

Re: GrassProtecta (TM) - option to prevent poaching?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 12:53:12 pm »
i just don't think it would work either cost wise or other       it is primarily intended for vehicle or pedestrian movement  first seen this type of thing 40 odd years ago   and it was called grasscrete    basically hollow blocks that contained soil and the grass   it was meant for fire engine access round buildings  but not at the expense of hard standing    the best thing for poaching is take them off     even concrete areas get poached as they go on and come off them

would the cost not be prohibitive :farmer:

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 02:24:53 pm »
They used to have something similar in a field used as an overflow carpark at a place I used to work. It kind of worked but after a while it got broken, started to turn up, and became a bloody nuisance. I can imagine cattle breaking it fairly quickly.

thegreatorangeone

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 12:33:20 pm »

We have put some down to reinforce a section of a field to drive over in the winter, not used yet but compared to some of the other things on the marked seems a lot more robust.

There was a bit left over (about 5m by 2m) which was left what we thought was out of harms way but a few cattle managed to trample over it and left about a dozen holes. Would think that prolonged use would totally destroyed in no time.

I don't think we have installed the heavy duty just the standard.

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2012, 06:07:59 pm »
 :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim: sorry - I got this completely wrong I thought it was some sort of electrical device for zapping poachers, sheep rustlers and the like!!  so disappointed now.... ::) ::)
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

Haylo-peapod

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2012, 08:30:10 pm »
Sorry Shep, I guess we could set a trap and roll them up in it though - what d'you reckon?

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2012, 10:21:06 pm »
You'd have to make sure that the electric supply was up to standard and could supply a sufficient amount of current.

Funnily enough - I was thinking about getting a bit of this stuff for my summer campsite field but the reports here have swayed me the other way.  The field is used for animals over the winter and I cant help now thinking that it will either be the animals that break it or I'll clip it with the topper and make a mess.

Is it possibly to move the feeder - or is it a case of one day in one place and its poached kinda soft groundy like.

Haylo-peapod

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2012, 01:39:36 pm »
Well, it may have been a foolish move but I've bitten the bullet and have bought a roll of the heavy duty stuff. With my OH so anti the cows at the moment I just want to try anything I can to make life a bit easier over the winter so  :fc:  it works to some degree.  I'll report back later in the winter to let you all know how I get on.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2013, 11:59:32 pm »
Any joy with this HP?
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Haylo-peapod

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2013, 05:37:38 pm »
Hi Womble - it's a success!!  :excited:

It has made SUCH a difference around the ring feeder and has given a decent solid base for the cows...and us.
I just wish we had bought more as I have ended up face down and bottom down in the knee-deep mud between the haylage bales and where the rubber matting starts when refilling the ring feeder but as soon as I get to the matting I can walk normally.  :thumbsup:

I know what I'll be spending my SFP on this year - more matting for the cows and also the sheep, it might be expensive but then again if it means fewer trips to the osteopath it's worth every penny. It has really distressed me to see the sheep wallowing in so much mud this winter - I'm just relieved that I can do something about it next year.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS