Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Swan  (Read 4432 times)

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
Swan
« on: November 13, 2012, 07:51:45 pm »
We have a swan on our mill pond - I think its a he and he's making our Steinbacher geese look small - SO majestic - SO big - SO white and pure, just lovely - he's alone and isn't acting aggressively to any of our geese or Muscovy ducks - he doesn't seem to mind our border collie at all and quite happily ate the flaked maize I was throwing to it.  Hope he's still there tomorrow so I can get on a pic.  Our ducks were crowding around him on the pond - he looked like a huge royal yacht being assisted by tugs, just lovely.  Won't get too near though just in case.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Re: Swan
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 01:28:30 pm »
I love swans, so beautiful.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 01:36:52 pm »
Slow and graceful and full of confidence.

Had to phone the SSPCA (scottish RSPCA) this morning just to see what they said about it as this is an unusual visitor for us.  Said it will be a young swan chased off its birth ground and looking for its own space, so it's trying to claim our pond, just checking it out etc.  OH says it's come to the right place, 5 star treatment etc.  Lovely though it is, I don't want it to stay as it will rub my Steinbacher geese up the wrong way come spring. 

We're about to catch all our excess Muscovy males this weekend so that may spook it a bit. 
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 07:16:47 pm »
He went today (Thursday 29th Nov), was there at 2pm then away at 3pm, I wish him luck and wish he won't return with a lady.  Enjoyed his sojourn.

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 08:12:42 pm »
Nice to see on your pond though (for a short while) I only ever see/hear them flying overhead - at one count in autumn there were 11 flying together now down to 4's, 3's and my wee call duck pond is way too small for them - did you manage any pic's?
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 10:34:03 am »
Yes, lots so always good when I finally get that website up and running (on page 10 of the list)  :D

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 10:36:42 am »
Obviously the 5 star treatment wasn't up to his standards  ;D
Its good that he has gone because that is what you wanted but its also a shame in a way.
Sally

Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 12:23:10 pm »
Do you think so Bionic?   ;D  think he's off to sell tickets actually  ;D   must admit was a bit miffed when I saw he wasn't there but it's for the best.  Would have liked to have seen him fly off  :wave:

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012, 06:35:52 pm »
Goosepimple - what lovely pictures - however often I see swan I don't get bored of watching them - just beautiful.
There are a few on a wee country park pond locally which I love watching but Zip (my BC) hides behind me!! They certainly don't like him.
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2012, 07:19:24 pm »
They are magnificent creatures up close. So big. This morning Obi the GSD was confronted  by some young swans near the lake we walk past sometimes. Poor obi was by my side on his lead but the pack of swans didn't like him and made a beeline for us  :o

A youngster resting for a week or two is nice but I wouldn't like a full family taking up permanent residence at my home. They can be so territorial.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2012, 09:40:54 pm »
Thinking now he was probably resting - didn't think until later today that it was the first time the pond has been frozen over - perhaps that had something to do with him leaving.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2012, 07:48:26 pm »
So he's back ...... and with mate and they asked for the 4 poster and champagne. 

Oh dear  :innocent:

We saw them circling above and then coming in to land, another 3 flew over about half and hour later, thankfully they kept going.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2012, 06:19:41 pm »
And the couple have gone again - now I really hope they're not selling tickets or else I'm in big trouble. :D

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2012, 08:29:12 pm »
They are must be thinking about it - staying or selling tickets to another pair - sort of finders fee. We had wild mallards come up from the shooting pond to nest at ours - oh it was lovely, ducklings and watching them but then Mum got bossy and kept trying to keep my calls away from the food - then I had to put more food out and about around the place to keep everyone happy - they did leave and I guess didn't make it through the next shooting season - which I was a wee bit sad about but not totally!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS