Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dinner on the stove.  (Read 7122 times)

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
Dinner on the stove.
« on: November 11, 2012, 02:11:11 pm »
Cooking slowly on the logburner as we speak, a huge lump of pork, in dry cider with brown sugar, apples and onions. This will be served tonight with mashed spuds, maybe roast parsnips or carrots and green beans.
For pudding (and I only made one 'cos I got up too late to go to the bakery for our weekly cake treat) Im making a fruits of the forest cheesecake. I think Im looking forward to the pud more than the main, and Im not usually a dessert person.
There is something special about cooking the dinner on the stove. I think its because its free cooking, not using gas or electric. To date, Ive only done caseroles, but I fancy doing a roast chicken in my big pot, by sticking it on a trivet inside the dish. Oh is going to adapt something for me to fit inside. The more money I can save on the leccie and my gas bottles, the better.

deepinthewoods

Re: Dinner on the stove.
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 02:13:16 pm »
woodburner cooking is grate!

i wrapped a trout in foil last week and chucked it in for a few minutes, lovely.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 02:14:09 pm »
Dinner sounds lovely. Its just well you are far away otherwise I might have invited myself  ;D
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

happy larry

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 10:24:17 pm »
woodburner cooking is grate!

woodburner cooking is "grate",il pardon you pun  :roflanim:

i wrapped a trout in foil last week and chucked it in for a few minutes, lovely.

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 06:45:59 pm »
Cooking on a woodburner would be so much more satifying than on a straight forward pay as you go electric or gas one. I hope to get a woodburner to cook off in our next house, I would even consider having one in a shed, this house does not lend itself to woodburners....We had a huge trout a few weeks ago. caught in Loch Lommand (from a friend) and it was the best bit of meat/fish I have had in ages, so easy and simple to cook and so tastety.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2012, 07:32:37 pm »
Sounds wonderful Mary, as good as any Christmas dinner, cooked the proper way, very autumnal, think of us all wishing we were with you  ;D  get your coat on Bionic.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2012, 10:23:06 pm »
Yesterday, I put a pot on with a chicken, onion, bacon and loads of leeks plus a good stock. It was very tasty indeed, as I made the stock into a creamy sauce after the cooked chicken had been removed. We had cabbage, carrots and mash (for OH only). It was very tasty. Ive got a big lump of shin of beef that I may do tomorrow, with onions carrots and tinned tomatoes. I may add some kidney beans in at the end if we just have veg with it, but Ill leave them out if we have yorkshire pud. I do love meals that I can prepare well in advance as Im usually knackered by the end of the day with the pain from my gammy knee!

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2012, 10:31:13 pm »
Hang on, just packing, do I need jumpers? I am joining goosepimple  and Bionic, hope theres enough for us all ;)

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2012, 12:22:03 am »
Can you pick me up on your way  :innocent: I'll fit in the boot I'm sure  ;D

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2012, 10:09:12 am »
Does everyone eat like this in France Mary?  Or only the bourgeois  ;D

Watch you don't get gout mon amis  :yum:
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2012, 01:04:07 pm »
Does everyone eat like this in France Mary?  Or only the bourgeois  ;D

Watch you don't get gout mon amis  :yum:
I know the french love a good hotpot or pot au feu to be precise. Many do have wood ovens and I'd love one but I have nowhere to put it and new, they are very expensive. I had some fresh briochine (a softer textured baguette) toasted with goats cheese for breakfast which was particularly scrummy while OH had pain au chocolat fresh from the bakers. Got to make some lunch now, but Ive no idea what to do. Havent even got dinner underway yet but there's plenty of time to do that.

deepinthewoods

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2012, 01:09:22 pm »
mary any tips? i have a pheasent, browned and jointed, in the pot with leek + carrot, ive got some kale leaves and cabbage to go in later. any suggestions to make it a bit more special would be appreciated. :wave:

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2012, 06:17:31 pm »
And any good 'canard' recipes please, we had 14 go to the gamekeeper this morning, so freezer will fill up in a couple of days and we need to eat some soon.

You should get your own online show Mary, we're all fans already.

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2012, 05:39:23 pm »
Make a blog!!!!! Please make a blog, I need help when it comes to cooking. I can do a roast or tapas type stuff but I need help with almost everything else!
We do fry ups etc on the burner but would love to get more ideas for posh nosh on it!
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2012, 05:02:00 pm »
Im no posh cook folks, I just put together what I think will taste nice. Usually it works out OK. Its like when Im doing stews or a mince dish. I have to get the seasoning just right and I use the following. Soy sauce, worcester sauce and daddies sauce in various degrees of splodge which I add to the meat after its browned with the sotck cubes. Altogether it gives a really rich flavour with plenty of depth. Actually, Ive recently replaced the soy sauce with something Ive found over here by Maggi, its a type of liquid seasoning and its great.
OH is quite fussy with his food so I cant be as adventurous as I would like, and we never go out to eat as with him its a waste of time as he'd only want to eat steak and chips. Im going to try his with lasagne next week as Ive recently re-discovered it and I absolutely adore it especially with a lovely salad. He used to hate garlic, but I now do my version of crispy chicken, combining breadcrumbs with garlic granules, chilli flakes and black pepper and he really enjoys that. Through necessity Ive had to learn how to do sweet and sour chicken balls or king prawn balls and they had to be just like our local chinky made them in Swindon. I think that's one of my favourites although I feel so guilty after eating all those calories!!! Boy, Im feeling very hungy now. Its beef stew and dumplings tonight as I didnt do it the other day. The whole house smells of food!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS