Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Old fleeces  (Read 7596 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Old fleeces
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2012, 01:42:35 pm »
Oh!  I thought that Falkland was a breed, with Merino in its makeup, but reading up on their website, I see that it's a 'mongrel' - originally Polwarth and then with Merino crossed in.

I'm sure someone's told me I can class Falkland as a British Native Breed though...  :thinking:

And if not, then I guess that all the Falkland fibre you can buy originates from this one flock on the Falkland Isles!  :)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2012, 01:49:17 pm »
I think none of them really like the wet weather up here. Bowmonts were hoped to be a bit more acclimatised - they are basically a cross of Merino and Shetland - but, well, I wouldn't let them lamb outside for a start...

Now how did we get to this from my old fleeces?  :innocent:
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 05:24:37 pm by Ina »

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2012, 04:36:31 pm »
I love the way threads on here wander off on tangents.   :D

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2012, 06:52:00 pm »
Problem solved - Dans has taken on my fleeces!

Lovely meeting you today - thanks a million for the wonderful mead (no, I haven't tried it yet, I'm being good and keeping it for some special occasion!).

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2012, 09:35:50 pm »
No thank you Ina. Think I have enough fleece to keep me busy for a long while now!

Sorry we weren't there for longer, though think Brechin deserves a whole day, shall be back again.

Ah give it a go, I find with homebrew sooner the drunk the better (or at least that tends to be how it goes in our house  :innocent:)

Right back to practising my carding. Thank you again.

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS