Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Really basic tup question :)  (Read 2734 times)

LouiseG

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Appleby-in-Westmorland
Really basic tup question :)
« on: November 10, 2012, 06:42:20 pm »
We have two southdown ewes (20 months) and two toggenburg nannies who all share a field. A friend is lending me his 2 year old tup from tomorrow for a few weeks, the two nannies are booked to go to the Billy in two weeks time. Now this is a really daft question... Will the goats be okay in with the ram? They shouldn't come into season in the next two weeks, will he be interested in them or just his ewes? Sorry if this is silly, but I've started to worry myself about it  ???
So many ideas, not enough hours

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: Really basic tup question :)
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 06:48:09 pm »
He won't mate with them. He might sniff them and that might annoy them. He also might 'bash' them, as interlopers.

Watch how he reacts to them but I'd be ready to find another place for them if you can. Or can they go to the billy early?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 06:50:24 pm by jaykay »

LouiseG

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Appleby-in-Westmorland
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 07:00:18 pm »
Thank you jaykay, I could split them up or they can go to the Billy sooner if needed  :)  it was the mismating I was worried about, I'll keep a close eye on them all and take action as necessary

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012, 08:27:44 pm »
Where do all those geeps and shoats around the Med come from then?  :goat: :sheep:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2012, 08:47:55 pm »
 ;)  :D

Auld Cairnallochy

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2012, 09:17:02 pm »
Don't delay separate them now, a randy tup will certainly have a go at the goats and when they don't respond will get angry and could give them some hefty bumps to their sides, this could cause trouble later when they are pregnant after being with the billy. Although it is rare goats have been known to become pregnant to a tup, however if the result is born from what I have been told they very rarely live for very long.

LouiseG

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Appleby-in-Westmorland
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2012, 10:10:12 pm »
Ok, separation it is then.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2012, 11:16:00 pm »
Although it is rare goats have been known to become pregnant to a tup
Mmmm. Sheep have 54 chromosomes and goats 60. That makes it very unlikely to produce any viable embryo let alone more, since the chromosomes have to pair each time cell division takes place. 

The suggestion is that reports of such matings happen because there are breeds of goats and sheep that look so like each other, the uninitiated mistake them. Hence 'sorting the sheep from the goats'.

A chimera was produced artificially, but that's a different business.

Canadian Sheepfarmer

• Joined Nov 2009
  • Manitoba, Canada.
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2012, 02:52:41 pm »
Good advice.  :thumbsup:

I have a 'fixed' llama living with my sheep. I was told that were he intact they will try breeding sheep and get very frustrated. Mine hasn't seen another llama since he was weaned so consequently sees himself as a 'Top Sheep'.

There have been cases here of llamas killing sheep trying to breed them, but then llamas are so much bigger than billies. Still, prolly a good plan to keep them serarate whilst breeding is going on.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS