Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Swollen teats on our sow  (Read 2967 times)

Mrs Snoodles

• Joined Aug 2012
Swollen teats on our sow
« on: November 10, 2012, 01:20:50 pm »
We are probably worrying for nothing as our lovely sow is as happy as larry.  We moved her away from her piglets yesterday (they were a full 6 weeks old) and popped her back in a nice grassy paddock.  She seems absolutely fine, eating, drinking, rooting, and chatting to anyone who comes near etc.

Her teats are HUGE, especially the back ones. She looks more like a milking cow.  Do we need the concerned or is this perfectly normal?

Piglets are doing fine, all scoffing pellets nicely and drinking water....just an add on.....should I put any sow replacement milk down for them?  We have some as back up.

Kind thanks for your advice

HappyHippy

Re: Swollen teats on our sow
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 01:42:01 pm »
Her teats will swell because you've weaned the piglets, think about humans who stop breat feeding suddenly  ;)
We nomally don't feed mum (apart from a bit of fruit and veg) on the day we wean the piglets as I believe it helps dry the milk up a bit quicker  ;) Keep a close eye on them though - any signs of redness or heat and it could be mastitus - mostly it's just excess milk and should go in 3 - 4 days.
HTH
Karen

Mrs Snoodles

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 02:19:16 pm »
Great thanks. We will not feed her tonight then. She has had plenty last night and this morning and I can give her the remaining kohl rabi and tomato crops tomorrow and see if this helps.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 12:02:14 pm »
AS karen says its just she's still producing milk and it should dry up naturally, double check her udder for heat or if she's trying to cool it, a sign of mastitis. Like karen i too cut back food for 24hrs after weaning and then put her back on 4lb a day over two feeds.
HTh
mandy :pig:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS