Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: thinking of getting some cattle  (Read 4523 times)

rochvima

• Joined Oct 2011
thinking of getting some cattle
« on: November 09, 2012, 07:03:54 pm »
Hi I am thinking of getting a couple of calves-it would be for meat. I have been offered 2 short leg dexters £250 each- are they any good for meat? I am a complete novice so any help greatly appreciated. Thank you

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: thinking of getting some cattle
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 07:10:41 pm »
Dexter meat is supposed to be very good. The only query I would have is re the short legged thing. Not a prob if going for slaughter but if you ever had any for breeding i think there are some genetic issues with the short legged Dexters, others will no doubt know more on this. So make sure you really will be able to send them off emotionally before you get them :-)))

rochvima

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 07:15:26 pm »
ok. Thanks for your reply, i will look into it more regarding short legged! Is there a breed you would suggest for a smallholder, specifically for meat?

ShaunP

• Joined Dec 2009
    • Timber Chalets and Lodges
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 08:40:07 pm »
Just got 2 dexters myself as I have previously been very impressed with the meat quality. If you are not going to breed from them then the gene issue is not a problem.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 09:07:08 pm »
yes Dexters are excellent beef so wouldnt want to put you off if they are going off for meat, super beef from them. Other smaller cattle options would be Shetland or Kerry.

Factotum

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2012, 09:38:12 pm »
I am a complete novice

What sort of facilities do you have and how much grazing land. If you're getting them now, how much hay do you have to feed them over the winter?

We keep Shetlands, and have eaten Dexter beef in the past. I think I prefer Shetland beef  - but that's just me.

Regards

Sue
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 09:41:33 pm by Factotum »

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2012, 09:40:09 pm »
Dexter beef is delicious!

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2012, 09:41:52 pm »
There is onley one  breed i would use

Nickie

• Joined May 2009
  • Gwynedd
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2012, 07:35:16 am »
There is onley one  breed i would use

Me to VF - I love our Highlands, although I prefer handling ones with symetrical horns! It's more of a safety thing with me. I find it difficult to judge where the other horn is at close proximity, like when I'm tipping feed into the trough & they are right there on my shoulder. Been caught out a couple of times - my fault not theirs!

Highland beef is definitely the best I have eaten & our cattle are quiet & calm. Dexter meat is very good, but most of the ones I have come across are a bit wild & more difficult to handle (not that I am greatly experienced in these things!). I don't know whether it's their breeding or their handling though.

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2012, 10:04:54 am »
The price is good at the mo there was some good 1s at dingwall Saturday .i think they would be cheaper than Dexter and less fuss.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2012, 10:11:05 am »
Nothing wrong with Dexter meat, and the bit of the leg that's shorter is the bit with less meat on anyway!   :D

If you've been offered them, then chances are the people you buy from would be able to help with advice?  Maybe even loading when the time comes?  Which has a value.

Also, go and see them and get a feel for their temperament before you say yes.  If the owner isn't keen on your getting near them, it could be an indicator they aren't as quiet as a first-timer should want.  ;)

How old are they?  When were they weaned?  Will you be keeping them indoors or out?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2012, 05:40:59 pm »
yes Dexters are excellent beef so wouldnt want to put you off if they are going off for meat, super beef from them. Other smaller cattle options would be Shetland or Kerry.

The Kerry is essentially a dairy breed and the Shetland dual purpose. You would be lucky to find either to fatten just because of the numbers. I think most Shetland breeders finish their own bullocks. Fab beef though. princesspiggy was selling her Shetland bullock though.

rochvima

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2012, 03:01:36 pm »
The Dexters are just weaned and we would keep them outdoors.

Victorian Farmer: I would really love to have some highland cattle but I am a complete novice and also worried about horns and what their temprements are like?

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2012, 03:57:32 pm »
yes you re right they are very good but the horns are sharp iv never been butted but i no some that have ,in winter when you take a bag out to them iv had them swing round ,So Dexter it is .

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS