Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Help with Shetland ewe that broke her rear leg  (Read 10379 times)

Lostlambs

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Canada
Re: Help with Shetland ewe that broke her rear leg
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2012, 12:14:46 am »
Am posting this late as have been out all day and just got back in. Thanks to all who posted. After some thought and partly due to the ideas you all brought forward I decided to take her to an available vet further away, the roads were bad with a good snowfall last night. The break he discovered was just above the pastern so was able to cast it with a fiberglass cast. She is home and doing quite well so the next while will see how she does. She will be in the barn until the cast is off mid dec. I hope it will come along good. The discharge was from a pressure sore with the splint which he said was common with splinting instead of casting so there was no break thru of bone or splinter. When in doubt it is always nice to get others opinions and experiences so thanks you all :fc:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2012, 12:22:27 am »
Good news, lostlambs.   :fc: she heals ok.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

luckylady

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Yorkshire
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2012, 01:05:20 am »
Oh that sounds more positive lostlambs.  Fingers crossed for her  :fc:  and a  :hug:  for you.
Doing that swan thing - cool and calm on the surface but paddling like crazy beneath.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2012, 07:23:16 am »
That does sound a lot more positive - good news  :thumbsup:

Yes, a proper cast makes all the difference - it keeps the ends of the bone still and stops it hurting. She should do ok by the sound of it  :)

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2012, 07:26:28 am »
Great news. Hope she heals quickly

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2012, 07:28:21 am »
hi
I was gutted for you yesterday, reading all the posts, it didnt seem likly that there would be a positive outcome, hopefully she is on the mend now
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2012, 08:16:21 am »
 :thumbsup:

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2012, 08:38:48 am »
very glad that with more active vet intervention lambie may make it. Good news - and well done for persevering with getting better treatment for it. :thumbsup:

deepinthewoods

« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2012, 08:56:17 am »
thats great news lostlambs.

it must be particularly hard for you, i seem to remember you live in canada, and your nearest vet is a long long way away, werent you lambing in -40 deg last year?
this must make what here would be obvious decisions much more complicated with risk not just to your sheep, but also to your self.
as your decision shows, you have shown the highest level of care available to your ewe, commendable actions, well done.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2012, 05:53:57 pm »
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :sheep: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Lostlambs

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Canada
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2012, 12:50:49 pm »
Just an update on Meriah(all my ewes have names) she is doing well so far. The cast is to come off Dec 15, she should be scared to leave the pen by then as she is in the barn till then. She's still not using it but the vet said some of them won't until the cast is off. She has 2 other ewes for company. Thanks for all your support and advise as sometimes second guessing myself leads me to go around in circles and always get stressed when have to deal with bad injuries with the animals. Especially the sheep that I really enjoy :wave:

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2012, 12:52:15 pm »
Good to hear she's doing well  :thumbsup:

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2012, 01:50:41 pm »
Im really pleased that things are looking good for Meriah - keep us updated on her rehab  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2012, 10:21:45 pm »
Good news hope it is good as new when the cast comes off
Old and rare breed Ducks, chickens, geese, sheep, guinea pigs, 3 dogs, 3 cats, husband and chicks brooding in the tv cabinate!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS