Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Land Managment  (Read 5492 times)

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
Re: Land Managment
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2012, 07:49:46 pm »
As Ina says, we all learn as we go and a plan can change in minutes. For example - a tractor passed our house cutting the grass verges. My daughter pointed out the potential hay that we turned then stuffed in a cardboard box and tied up. 12 bales of the best hay ever - no need to invest in cutting my own hay next year and I can use the land for something else. Start small- discover what is possible then everything that follows is never a disapointment but is a bonus.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2012, 09:21:18 pm »
I dunno, I only earn a pittance (£400 per month) and only do that to pay the rent. My land i now get rent free as I help my aged neighboring farmer and his wife, food is either grown or foraged. i do buy in some animal feed yes, but then when fat lambs are sold or kids etc that pays for the feed.
Rabbits are really easy to look after badly ;)
They can be kept in tiny areas, but it is neither humane nor decent to. The minimum guidelines are a 6 foot by 2 foot hutch PERMANENTLY attached to a 6 foot by 4 foot run NO WIRE FLOORS. John Seymore was a legend perhaps but he was no pioneer of rabbit husbandry, I am still re educating people to this day :-\

You have a good amount of land, but I would be concerned with so much tied up in crops that cattle might poach their area in a wet year like this one. Have you though about starting with goats instead?
Is it possible to be self sufficient? Yes I believe it is though it will be the hardest work you have ever done! However the strive toward self sufficiency is possibly also the most empowering thing you have ever done.
I am not self sufficient, I would love to be but if I want to rescue rabbits I have to keep this place I live at currently. For that I must pay rent, and for that I must work :(
I reckon I would be 80% there otherwise ;D

Whether you will be 100% self sufficient only time will tell, but I bet you will have the time of your life trying :thumbsup:

Good luck to you!
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2012, 09:27:10 pm »
You will need to gather fresh greens twice a day or use the hay you made OR buy pellets.We are on our third lot of kittens and are amazed at the variety of dishes a rabbit offers.

Just to clarify as I think I am reading this wrong....
Hay is the single most important ingredient in ANY rabbits diet. They must have ad lib access 24/7 to hay and ensure they eat it ;)
After that you can indeed feed them forage or a small amount of pellets. Growers can have more.
Low hay consumption is the single biggest cause of molar spurs in rabbits, spurs and dental problems being the biggest cause of gut stasis in turn being the biggest killer of rabbits.

I am obsessed, I admit but if anyone want bunny help (and I don't care if you eat them, just give them a good life please) I would be delighted to talk rabbits :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS