Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Shearing time again  (Read 12807 times)

countrygirlatheart

• Joined Apr 2008
Re: Shearing time again
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2009, 10:23:26 pm »
Well done Liz!    If I knew how to put the photo on I could give you a right good laugh at my attempt at hand shearing.  Had to give up half way so had a sheep wandering round the field doing a lion impression (started at the bum end so she ended up looking like she had a magnificent lions mane!!   When the shearer came and sorted out my mess he did say that she had a different fleece from the others (curlier?) and that I had picked the hardest one to attempt ...   Without going on a course I won't be trying it again.

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2009, 09:14:52 pm »
Started shearing my small flock of Shetlands today with hand shears managed half a dozen before my breakfast and really enjoyed it, was going to do more but the others in that field had no rise in the wool. I find hand shearing very therapeutic. Went to do some more tonight but the heavens opened will catch some during the week.
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2009, 11:18:16 pm »
Finally got all 65 done ewes, hoggs and Tups. Filled 5 sacks with wool. Then got a letter from the wool board saying they are now going to charge per sack for deliveries rather than per kilo. I think there must be a con somewhere involved. but I've now mixed all the hogg fleeces in with the tups and the breeds are all mixed up so i only used the 3 sacks rather than the 5 they were sorted into
Ian

BadgerFace

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Sussex
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2009, 05:53:59 pm »
All finished here too  ;D I sheared my other ram on saturday morning, and my shearer friend did all the ewes in the afternoon. We celebrated with much cider (dulls the back ache), sausages & rabbit kebabs  ;D  :yum:
Breeder of Pedigree Torddu Badger Face Welsh Mountain Sheep & Anglo Nubian Goats

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2009, 11:35:12 pm »
Managed another five Shetlands last night, my tups are ready will get them tomorrow weather permitting and the rest when I can fit them in.
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2009, 06:58:46 pm »
show off. we have just hand sheared our first shetland. 1 1/2 hours one very scruffy sheep with a few blue patches. ha well just another 9 to go. being very arthritic i ended up on the floor hugging the poor girl. they really do like gurping don't they.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2009, 07:05:24 pm »
Gurping? ???

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2009, 07:23:10 pm »
I'm too old to do them myself, brought in a couple of lean young men with shearing trailer and watched them dance. Well you've got to do something while the Oh out of action.

Got 2.5 sheets and the wool board not getting them. The thieving b.......................'s
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2009, 09:35:09 pm »
Gurping? ???
oh yes have you not smelt a sheeps gases . this sheeps mouth was a few inch from the nose. would love to buy an erectric one but its not worth it.

danndans

• Joined Jan 2008
  • aberystwyth
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2009, 10:09:45 pm »
got mine all done ;D did them myself,and like kaz the wool board are getting none of it  >:(

i'll do small flocks if theres anyone needing some done in my area...ish  ;D
Make your words soft and sweet, as one day you may have to eat them.

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2009, 10:48:26 pm »
Send your wool to me.......!
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2009, 09:04:19 am »
being new to sheep does the wool aways have loads of junk in it.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2009, 10:39:57 am »
Next door sheep farmer said he will do ours with the hand clippers tonight.  Bertie, my Shetland will be no bother.  He will walk on a lead with me, but the two big Shropshire girls are a different matter - not looking forward to getting them in.  Rather pleased someone else is doing it (he owes us a favour as we let him put some cows on a spare field!)  my back would not stand up to shearing any more.

Last year, Bertie was done with a big flock.  The shearer did not notice he was a castrated ram ......and had a slight accident.  Bertie now pees out of two holes.  I have warned the farmer already, as we do not want any further mishaps in that department.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2009, 02:14:01 pm »
the poor boy i bet he was walking stiffly for a while.

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2009, 11:20:29 pm »
I remember well the first time it took me ages the wife took pictures and for all the world it looked like an indecent act was being forced upon the poor creature. I soon got more confidence as I became more familiar with the sheep's shape, also a good rise in the wool helps no end. I have about nine to go and tomorrow is going to be warm so will do some more. :farmer:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS